French Ben Hur?

CCKW Trailer Technical and Repair Questions. Restricted to Trailers pulled by CCKW's /Chevy's/ and other 10 wheel trucks.
Matt
Major
Major

French Ben Hur?

Post by Matt »

Hi guys,

I have been offered a steel bodied Ben Hur but I'm told that it could be a post war French copy,I must admit that although I am aware of French made steel cargo beds for CCKW's I had never heard of French made Ben Hur's :oops: .

I would be greateful for any info on this and if anyone can confirm if the French did or did not make copies of the Ben Hur that would be great.

Thanks!

Matt.
March 1942 Dodge WC-56 Command Car,1229th QM.
Oct.1943 Dodge WC-52 Weapons Carrier,854th BS.
Jan.1943 CCKW LeRoi Compressor.
Paul
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Paul »

Hi Matt,

I must confirm that the french made copies of the Ben Hur. The Dutch army used also copies build by trailer companies like: Polynorm, Jongerius, Pennock and Holland Nautic. The trailers had only small details differences (I don't know which differences). The easiest way to recognize the Dutch ones is by the wheels, they all used 900 x 16 Daf YA-126 wheels, but the french used the trailers with the same wheels as on the GMC. One thing I know for sure is that the copies were completely build out of steel.

I hope that I helped you a little bit.

Regards Paul
Matt
Major
Major

Post by Matt »

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the info,it's a great help :)

Matt.
March 1942 Dodge WC-56 Command Car,1229th QM.
Oct.1943 Dodge WC-52 Weapons Carrier,854th BS.
Jan.1943 CCKW LeRoi Compressor.