Newbie with basic question #1

Facts, Tips, Hints, and other snippets about the CCKW, Chevy, or DUKW
Matt
Major
Major

Post by Matt »

Hi Billie,

The unit on you dad's discharge papers maybe correct,as many men on returning from an overseas combat unit would be assigned to a stateside unit prior to being discharged,the discharge papers would only give the mans unit at the time of discharge.

Do you have your dad's MOS number?? it will be a three digit number.

I will go through my files and get you some address's. I got the unit records for an Eighth Air Force Quartermaster Co. to which one of my trucks belonged last year. It took about three months for the copies to come through but it was worth the wait!

Matt.
March 1942 Dodge WC-56 Command Car,1229th QM.
Oct.1943 Dodge WC-52 Weapons Carrier,854th BS.
Jan.1943 CCKW LeRoi Compressor.
valleycityconrad
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by valleycityconrad »

Hi Matt,

Dad's MOS was 345 TRUCK DRIVER LT

His discharge says 254th Air Service Group which doesn't exist. He was 25th ASG so whoever typed it in must have had a fat finger and hit the 4 when he typed the 5! Dad left the Pacific 4 FEB 46 and arrived in the USA on 16 FEB 46. His date of discharge is 24 FEB 46. So I don't think he was assigned anywhere stateside in that short period of time.

His discharge also lists him in the HQ and HQ SQ but really it was the HQ and Base Services SQ since the 25th was a "new type" service group. But that's really not a big deal. It just makes me wonder what else was left out or incorrect.

Billie
Billie Conrad
Proud daughter of William F Riffel
Truck Driver (lt) WWII
20th Air Force 58th Bomb Wing 25th Air Service Group
CBI, Tinian and Guam
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

Billie
Remember that at this period of time millions of men were being mustered out of the service and clerks handling these papers were prone to making mistakes and leaving things out they did not deem necessary. Also some information was late getting to the muster point and therefore not on the discharge papers. This is sad for us that are alive today and would like more information about our loved ones and what they did during that period of time.
My dad died in the South Pacific while flying with the 5th Army Air Force. He was a B-25 pilot. On his recored it just list him as missing and presumed dead, with no other details as to what, how or where or even when. It just states Feburary, 1943 .That leave a lot of unanswered questions and open for presumption.
You are lucky to have a photo and discharge papers. Thanks to people like you, your dads contribution to the war will be remembered.
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans
Matt
Major
Major

Post by Matt »

Hi Jim,

Do you have the Missing Aircrew Report for your dad?

Matt.
March 1942 Dodge WC-56 Command Car,1229th QM.
Oct.1943 Dodge WC-52 Weapons Carrier,854th BS.
Jan.1943 CCKW LeRoi Compressor.
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

Yes, but very little detail and a lot of unanswered questions in my mind. Good enough for the Army though, during war time. :cry:
All I know he is my hero and gave his life for his country in a great time of need. He was a captain at the time of his death.
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans