B-17 photo

Miscellaneous other stuff having to do with Military Vehicles and Trucks....NO POLITICS!

This will be monitored!
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

B-17 photo

Post by armydriver »

I love the photo of the B-17 in the spotlight photo today. It brings back memories of flying Texas Raider and the thrill of hearing those Wright Cyclone engines roar to life as you shove the throttles forward and feel the big ship shudder beneath you as you roar down the funway and lift off.
Where was the photo taken? It is really a nice scene.
A number of years back we had taxied and parked Texas Raider off of the hardstand onto the grass at an airshow in Harlingen, Texas. The we got two days of heavy rain and she sank up to the axles. We placed a board drive under her mains and several men( actually about 20) got under the tail section and on signal lifted up the tail as we powered up to blow her out of the mud. The tricky part was to get her totally up on the tarmack without going too far and hitting some other planes, as the engines were at full power while she inched slowly onto the boards leading to the ramp. :shock: We made it and that was the last time we parked her on the grass. Two TBM's had to be moved the same way but were not as heavy and the job was a little easier.
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Bill_Wolf »

AD,

Tony Corbin provided the photo last night. (Tony is a viewer of the site but I am not sure if he is a member of the message board).

Is is a picture of his M5 Bomb Trailer in front of that beautiful B-17G at Duxford on August 8.

I try to change pictures on the lead page every Monday night. Tony's pic reminded me I was late so I put his trailer up.

(While it is not a CCKW it can be towed by a Chevy and I love B-17's too so webmasters choice here 8) )

But don't worry I have more than enough great pics to last over a year at 1 per week.

Bill
1945 GMC DUKW
1942 Chevy 125 Crash Truck from Dow AAFB,
1944 Chevy 325 Fire Truck
1942 WC-54 Ambulance
1944 M29C Weasel (x6)
1945 CCKW 353 A2 Open Cab "Air-portable"
1943 M5 High Speed Tractor
1942 Sperry Searchlight setup with GE Generator
1942 M-1 Fruehauf Searchlight Trailer (G221)
1942 M-17 Fruehauf Quad 50 Trailer (G221)
1942 M-10 Ammo Trailer (x3)
194? Steel Ben Hur (x4) 194? Wood Ben Hur (x2)
1945 Case VAIW-3 Aircraft Tug
1943 Case VAI USAAF with Mower
1944 Clark CA-1 Airborne Dozer
1944 PE-95G, 1944 PE-99B
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

Thanks Bill, It is a great photo . :lol:
52 M38 Willy's

Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
Degsy
Captain
Captain

Post by Degsy »

I agree, great pic of a lovely aircraft, the sad thing is that due to stupid legislation she and other historic air craft will be stopped from flying.They will be classed as passenger aircraft and the cost of insurance will be astronomical forcing them to be grounded.Yet another senseless law.
GMC 352 B1
MVT
Over fifty mis-spent years of working on and
driving cars,trucks and agricultural and construction plant .
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

For years the CAF and other WWII flying museums in the U.S. have fought rising insurance prices untill the insurance has become the most expensive part of flying these historical aircraft. Fuel costs are the second most expensive part. For years everyone has know that insurance will be death of these flying museums even though the incidence of accidents in these well maintained birds is very low as compared to other forms of general aviation, say helicopter crashes and small airplane accidents.
52 M38 Willy's

UK Jack
Major
Major

Post by UK Jack »

I ws lucky enough to climb up inside Sally B last year on June 6th at Duxford. I took my boy in with me have a great picture of him on the waist gunners 50cal.........needless to say that his smile was broader than Sally B's wingspan :D

What I was most surprised about was how small the bomb bay was.

Cheers.

Jack.
www.hmvf.co.uk
A forum for historic military vehicles - inspired by Bill & CCKW.org!!!

Nothing is permanent in life, except change.
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

Really all of the interior of the aircraft is small, and one can imagine 10 hour missions in sub zero temps in that crowded space. Real men in a real situation that were willing to give all they had to give for freedom and democracy.
52 M38 Willy's

dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

I have a picture of my cargo CCKW in front of Fifi the CAF B29 at Manchester NH airport in 1983.

I tell people about the significance of the photo, pretend the CCKW is me and the B29 is the Pope and this is a private audience!

Steve AKA Dr Deuce
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
joel gopan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by joel gopan »

My wife and I had an unbelieveable adventure on the B-17G Sentimental Journey, during its' recent visit in Maine. Nothing like a takeoff on a short runway while seated in the nose. I plan to donate B-17 items I have to their display. I hope to come up with a NOS Heated Flying Suit for it.
Joel
44 MB 356378- 54 M-38A1-41 CCKW 352-51 M-37-42TW6-45MBT-43 M1 BOMB LIFT (WEAVER)- RECORD SETTING HONOR GRADUATE Wheeled Vehicle Mechanics School, U.S. ARMY 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL 1962 - MVPA 1064 - RED BALL CHAPTER - PHONY VETERAN HEADHUNTER - ARMY FIXED & ROTARY WING MECHANIC/CREWCHIEF-STILL FIT WARBIRD COCKPITS