What Studebakers are really used for......

Miscellaneous other stuff having to do with Military Vehicles and Trucks....NO POLITICS!

This will be monitored!
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

What Studebakers are really used for......

Post by Bill_Wolf »

Jason, who is not on the list, sent me this. It is an interesting story and I guess we now know what Studebakers are really used for :lol:

I sell manufacturing guages for a living. It is very boreng but I get to visit some cool factories. About a year ago I was working in the guage lab at the Borg Warner plant in Muncie Indiana. It is the plant that made all of the jeep transmissions as well as most of the truck trannys of WWII. I was asking the guage engineers if there were any items left from the war years. One said they still used an old cletrec the government gave the plant in the early war years. He took me out to the plant and showed me this cool piece of equipment.

While we were out there an old machinist overheard our discussion. He grabbed me and said there was something else that would be of interest. He said that this massive plant was little more than a garage when the war started. Due to politics or luck Borg got all of these contracts out of the blue. The gov was so eager to get the production up that it agreed to pay for a 100,000 sq ft add on to the pant. After getting permits and setting up contractors they ran into one, deal stopping glitch. THERE WAS NO STEEL. The gov had stopped the sale of steel nationally. With out steel there were no support structures for the roof. The owner of the plant called the gov contracting office to tell them the bad news. The gov contractor without missing a beat told the owner to have all of the factory employees outside to help and an area set aside for the arriving steel the following week. Suprised, the owner agreed. Sure enough the following week 4000 beams arrived. After inspecting the miracle shipment the owner noticed that all of the frames were green and were shaped funny. He asked one of the truck drivers where they came from. The truck driver replied they were Studibaker duece frames. The gov had canceled there contract in favor of the GMC and Studebaker, had been so confident of them winning, they went in full production and produced 4000 frame rails. The gov opted to buy the rails but had no immediate need for them.
They are still there holding the roof up.

If you look close you can see that these are truck frames.
1945 GMC DUKW
1942 Chevy 125 Crash Truck from Dow AAFB,
1944 Chevy 325 Fire Truck
1942 WC-54 Ambulance
1944 M29C Weasel (x6)
1945 CCKW 353 A2 Open Cab "Air-portable"
1943 M5 High Speed Tractor
1942 Sperry Searchlight setup with GE Generator
1942 M-1 Fruehauf Searchlight Trailer (G221)
1942 M-17 Fruehauf Quad 50 Trailer (G221)
1942 M-10 Ammo Trailer (x3)
194? Steel Ben Hur (x4) 194? Wood Ben Hur (x2)
1945 Case VAIW-3 Aircraft Tug
1943 Case VAI USAAF with Mower
1944 Clark CA-1 Airborne Dozer
1944 PE-95G, 1944 PE-99B
rgus
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by rgus »

WOW great post...great history
Brent Delaney
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Brent Delaney »

Thanks for sharing your story, I find it very interesting. Now if they were Jeep chasis's......... :roll:

Cheers,

Brent Delaney.
1943 GPW x3
1943 CCKW 353 H1
1943 CCKW 353 B2
1941 CCKW 352 B2
1942 CCW 353
1943 Chevrolet C8AX x3
1970 M 816 x2
1972 M 818 x2 and 2x M 127 Stakeside semis
M41A1 Walker Bulldog
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

You gota do what you gota do with what you can get. That is a great story and photo. Thanks.
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans