Sorry , Dumb Question !

Discussion and Questions about the different models of CCKW's
Americal'43
Private

Sorry , Dumb Question !

Post by Americal'43 »

What was the reason for the open roof trucks ? Was it to save on metal for the war effort or better visability seeing aircraft or what ? Thanks . John
1942 Chevrolet 1 1/2 Dump - G7117
1942 Willys MB Slat Grill
MVPA Member
Cat Man
Major
Major

Why Military Open Cab

Post by Cat Man »

There are no Dumb questions!

We often here collectors mis-quote that the change from closed cab trucks to open cab models "was to save steel" but the truth is the open cab tub of a CCKW weights more than the earlier closed cabs. It does not save steel.

There are several reasons for having a "Rag Top". It is a tactical combat vehicle so having the ability to operate with the windshield lowered and covered is both a safety issue and provides a method to prevent detection from windshield glare.

The open cab design allows the taller silloutte to be reduced which makes you a smaller target.

Shipping the vast amounts of large and small equipment to the war zone by sea caused the military to constantly look for ways to reduce cubic size. When shipped, the open cab trucks are packed with troop seats in the bed, windshield down and cab bows in the lowered position.

Nobody said it had to be comfortable.

My wife always wanted a convertable so I bought her one, A CCKW dump truck.

Glad to have another new nember.

Cat Man
40 Years An Engine Guy
30 Years A Caterpillar Guy
Still Learning Every Day
Americal'43
Private

Post by Americal'43 »

Hey Cat Man , thanks for the info ! That makes a lot of sense . I know the cab of my old Chevy sticks up pretty high . As for your wife getting the convertible ; I'll have to try that one on my wife and if it works I may even let her drive it . John
1942 Chevrolet 1 1/2 Dump - G7117
1942 Willys MB Slat Grill
MVPA Member
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

The open configuration of the 2 1/2 ton truck came right after the introduction of the wooden bed trucks as a measure to conserve steel. Thanks for your question.
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans
jhscpa
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Re: Sorry , Dumb Question !

Post by jhscpa »

Americal'43 wrote:What was the reason for the open roof trucks ? Was it to save on metal for the war effort or better visability seeing aircraft or what ? Thanks . John
Thanks for the question. We need to know of the How, Why & Who of the 43 open-cab etc.

Jim S
John V Cliche
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by John V Cliche »

The open cab concept was developed by Studebaker and adopted buy all manu.

John
42 Chevy G7117
44 Ford M20 armored car
44 CCKW 353 A1 660 gal Tanker
45 CCKW 353 B2 Air-portable
Ben Hur 1 ton trailer
MVPA#26900
Kees51
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Re: Why Military Open Cab

Post by Kees51 »

Cat Man wrote:We often here collectors mis-quote that the change from closed cab trucks to open cab models "was to save steel" but the truth is the open cab tub of a CCKW weights more than the earlier closed cabs. It does not save steel.
I have to ask a question about this. Did you include the doors in the weight comparison. The closed cab may be less heavy than the open one, but I think if you add the doors to it, in total more sheet steel is used. The open one of course does not have steel doors.

I remember from my research on the Dodge knock-down ambulance that the reason it was made knockdownable was that you could stack two of them on top of eachother in ships, so more vehicles could be sent across the pond. I can imagine that this would be an excellent reason for the open cab of the CCKW, it makes the vehicle height much lower. And it is much easier to move around and defend yourself if you are in a rag top, no steel in the way to hinder your movements.

I think the reason for the open cab is both saving steel and the shipping and tactical advantages.
KEVINABR
Major
Major

Post by KEVINABR »

MANY SAY THAT THE RAG TOP WAS, THAT NOT JUST GETTING THE CUBIC MASS DOWN FOR SHIPPING BUT ALSO THE MEN DRIVING THEM COULD GET OUT QUICKER UNDER FIRE...... BUT YOU JUST TRY GETTING OUT IN A HURRY??????????? SO I PROBABLY THINK IT WAS FOR STEEL CONSERVATION AND CUBIC MASS REDUCTION FOR SHIPPING ..... I VE NEVER HAD AN OPEN CAB BUT HAVE GOT IN AND OUT ....ITS SO MUCH NICER OPENING YOUR DOOR IN MY VIEW....
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

Agreed on that KEVINABR as the open cab is harder to get in and out of and especially for an old geezer like me with really bad knees. I need to get rid of my open cab trucks and get me a closed cab for ease of entry. :lol:
52 M38 Willy's

Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

In my "best days" I could get in and out of a closed cab faster than an open cab especially if someone is shooting at you and you need to hit the ground.

Remember that many/most of the open cabbed trucks were shipped in boxes. One of the Vintage Video video's shows them putting the trucks together in a "Little Detroit". If you can find the manual, the packaging manuals for the open cabbed CCKWs, it is quite interesting. The Twin-pak for the Chevy is interesting too as they didn't have the open cab
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

Great info, thanks Doc.
52 M38 Willy's