Chevy G506 transmission

General Discussion about the WW2 Chevy Trucks 2 and 4 wheel drive. Technical aspects should be discussed the the CCKW Tech forum. Forsale/Wanted should be addressed in the CCKW Forsale or Wanted catagory
retro-roco
Captain
Captain

Chevy G506 transmission

Post by retro-roco »

Can anyone tell me if the '42 Chevy G506 used the same four speed transmission as the civilian 1-1/2 ton truck? :?:

I have found a tranny, and it looks very much like the one in my truck. The part number is 590957, or the case casting number is 590474. I am out of town, away from my SNL and parts books. Please let me know if this is correct.

Thanks guys!
Item Co., 23rd Inf. Regt., 2nd Div. WWII HRS
(Retro-Roco)
Bloomington, IL

1942 Chevy 1-1/2 ton cargo w/ winch
194? Ben Hur water trailer
42 chevy
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

tranny

Post by 42 chevy »

The civilian truck used a differant first gear (granny), as long as it does not have the parking brake attached to the rear of the tranny, it will work, direct bolt in.
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

The early Chevys had the same gear ratio tranny as the civy one. Later they made it a close ratio tranny and got rid of the granny gear as they had the low range. It probably also helped with the axle breakage problem that the Chevys tended to have if you got rough with them. The civy trucks would/could break axles with the granny 1st without the 2x transfercase ratio.
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
retro-roco
Captain
Captain

Trannys

Post by retro-roco »

Thanks '42 and Dr.!

Both responses were helpful. What I am hoping to either confirm or refute is whether the transmission I have found is the "right" one, at least according to part number... I have one that is "right" but needs rebuilt, while this one is NOS. Of course it may be worth picking up just to have a spare. (Oh lord, how many times I've said that!) How many transmission main shafts will a guy realistically go through in one lifetime?? :lol: :?:
Item Co., 23rd Inf. Regt., 2nd Div. WWII HRS
(Retro-Roco)
Bloomington, IL

1942 Chevy 1-1/2 ton cargo w/ winch
194? Ben Hur water trailer