G-221 Series Trailers

rwdfresno
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

G-221 Series Trailers

Post by rwdfresno »

What does a good restorable trailer go for? I have found one and wondering what it might be worth offering.
Ryan
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Bill_Wolf »

rwdfresno wrote:What does a good restorable trailer go for? I have found one and wondering what it might be worth offering.
The correct "Price" would depend alot upon which model of trailer it is.

M1 or M7 or Directors model with housing or Quad 50 trailer.

Does it have data plates?

I am looking at 4 different ones right now. I will buy one. They vary in price from $500 to $1500. Condition is all over the place.

Any pics?

Bill
rwdfresno
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by rwdfresno »

Well, unfortunatly I didn't get a close up look at it. I was driving by a plant nursery while in a funeral procession so needless to say I couldn't stop. The thing was sort of sitting around like it hasnt been moved in a while. The thing is located a few hours from me and probably will not be able to get a look at it for a while until I get down south again. I'm not sure what model it was but regardless whatever it was, it now looks just like the basic cargo unit. The condition is probably well used but restorable if I was to guess by my 30 second drive by. I really don't want it but I am just one of those people that see something sitting around and I have to "save" it if I can. I feel the same way about this complete bomb truck that I have seen sitting in the back yard of a tomb stone company for the past 15 years but they just don't want to get rid of it.
Ryan
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

They have electric brakes.

The "parts" one I just bought because I needed a brake drum did not have ANY brake parts: coils, shoe, or the plate inside the brake drum

These trailers come in at about 5100 lbs empty. They are a little tank! You need brakes on at least one axle and a retrofit would be quite difficult to something newer.

One set of bearings and a seal were $118 last month....

If the trailer has a bent balance beam as my searchlight trailer apparently does, the tongue may/will stay where ever you leave it w/o the landing wheel or stab jacks down.

A lot of these were abused. Look for cracks etc in the unibody hull.
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
Nick Bombini
Captain
Captain

Post by Nick Bombini »

Ryan,
I know exactly how you feel. I too am one of those people that has to save military vehicles if I can.

I would like to have one of these one day but unfortunatly right now isn't the right time :cry:.

--Nick
Nick Bombini
---
'42 M7A1 Generator
'42 M7 Generator trailer
'43 CCKW 352 A2
'45 USMC mobile repair shop trailer
'45 GPW
rwdfresno
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by rwdfresno »

Be carefully you can go from savior of old military relics to eccentric junk collector very quickly lol. I know from experience. Glad to be getting rid of a lot of this stuff. The problem is I just keep coming accross it. I still have all of these traucks in my mind where people have said "no I want ot hold onto it" and I periodically check on them to see if anything has changed because I am always afraid that one day these old stubborn geezers will kick the bucket and the stuff will get hauled away to the scrap heap. I have a half track, slatgrill MB, bomb truck and a few others that I check on frequently to see if they are still around and if anything has changed.

This actually happened a few years ago in Fresno there was an old lot that had a bunch of really rare stuff in it. It had a big Brockway Army Crane, a Federal cab over 5th wheel tractor, a couple of complete CCKW shop bodies, some WWII cushman carts, a very complete M-5-6 with dump body, and a CCKW along with a bunch or neat old equipment and the guy just wanted a fortune for anythign until one day I drove back there and it was all gone. The entire lot was nothing but dirt. I have a sick feeling that the stuff all went to the scrapper when the guy died. I hope to god that it ended up with a colletor but I really doubt it.
Ryan
Nick Bombini
Captain
Captain

Post by Nick Bombini »

I think I may have seen the bomb truck today that you mentioned. I saw it going back to the 99 from The Glass Shack after getting some primer and acetone.

--Nick
Nick Bombini
---
'42 M7A1 Generator
'42 M7 Generator trailer
'43 CCKW 352 A2
'45 USMC mobile repair shop trailer
'45 GPW
rwdfresno
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by rwdfresno »

On Belmont? If so that is the one. It has been sitting back in that yard for years. The man that owns the tombstone engraving company said his grandfather bought it at an auction after WWII. According ot him it was used at Hammer Field Army Air Corps Base in Fresno. It is very complete and in realatively good condition. He says he doesn't want to part with it because it has been in the family for so long which I can understand, but I just hope it doesnt end up in the scrapper one day. Those other trucks I was tlaking about were just down the street from there. A real tragedy if those are all lost.
Ryan