New Ben Hur owner

CCKW Trailer Technical and Repair Questions. Restricted to Trailers pulled by CCKW's /Chevy's/ and other 10 wheel trucks.
tractor
Sergeant
Sergeant

New Ben Hur owner

Post by tractor »

I actually have 2 Ben Hurs at my place right now one belonging me and the other to someone else. The newest one is a metal 45 dated Ben Hur manfacturing metal. It has 2 data plates one on each side of the front which I think is odd. On the drivers side is a 4 rivet data plate with serial number build date and the other is ? most of it is missing but it has matching rivets like the other plate so guessing original. Not sure what should be on it. It has a metal solid spoked rim on it similar to number 2 on the Ben Hur page. Missing from it is a tailgate which I am already starting to repro if anyones looking for one I can make you one. Also the chains and pins for the tailgate. I have a friend who is a machinest making the pins for me as I type. Does anyone have a source for the thin chain? The trailer is very rusty with lots of pitting and some rust out. There is a funny story about previous owner.. He didn't think anyone would buy it and kept saying you don't want it its trash to me as I paid him. 200 dollars plus 100 in gas wasn't to bad. As you can see its pretty complete though the landing wheel has a crack in the yoke as its bent pretty bad.

Trailer 2 is a 42 dated Ben Hur. It is missing front chains and wheel. The owner has found them though. Currently missing the tailgate as I am using it for a pattern. It is pretty beat up with dents and bent metal but lacks rust. The first one actually is very rusty with rust out.

3rd trailer I am working on for a museum. No tailgate missing light brackets, data plate, landing leg instead of wheel assemble, no wiring harness.
March 1941 Dodge WC 9
August 1941 Dodge WC 12
May 1941 American Highway K38 Signal Corps Trailer x2 12 serial numbers apart
1943 John Wood M3a4 Handcart
1943 Willys NOM-12 USMC radio Jeep tub going to restore as radio jeep
1944 Willys Holden USMC Ambulance tub going to restore back as ambulance
May 1945 G518 Ben Hur

There was a bunch more in the past
http://ewarbirds.org/