Specific Manufacturer Features

CCKW Trailer Technical and Repair Questions. Restricted to Trailers pulled by CCKW's /Chevy's/ and other 10 wheel trucks.
Fort Susquehanna
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Specific Manufacturer Features

Post by Fort Susquehanna »

I've got a real nice wooden G518, but no data plate. I would like to figure out who built it, and I'm sure this is an impossible task right now. But I have collected WWII stuff for over 30 years, and everything from WWII with multiple manufacturers involved has minor differences. This ranges from wool shirts to leggings, from canteens to push pins; this is stuff that just I have noticed in passing observation (and owning 50 or so WWII wool shirts, 25 or so canteens!).

Has anybody noticed differences between trailer manufacturers? Has anybody had compiled a database of features unique to each manufacturer's trailer? I mean things like welding and metal joining patterns, forging variances, brake handle differences, etc. I'm not volunteering to do a database, although I would be willing to collect data from the known-maker trailer's I know of and pass it on to someone. I am wondering if this info could then be used to identify a trailer to a specific manufacturer by finding features unique to the trailer manufacturer.

Is this a project we could do here? BTW, thanks to whoever has already posted and compiled the data on G518 here on cckw.org. It has helped a friend identify his newly purchased trailer as a Nash Kelvinator; it is very nice original paint with the USA number still visible.
1944 CCKW 353H1
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Specific Manufacturer Features

Post by Bill_Wolf »

Great Post!

I have 3.5 Ben Hur trailers. 2 Steel, 1 wood, and 1/2 of a wood with no sides (not sure if it ever had any sides as there is no evidence of the steel upright side mounts).

Each has their own idiosyncrasies and little differences. Unfortunately none have the dataplates on them. I have always wondered the same as you about manufacturing differences.

Fort Susquehanna, if you would like to research this and be the official keeper of the G518 identity information I would love that. It can have its own area on the main site. It is not something I can add to my plate of things to do at this time...probably never.

Contact me by PM and we can discuss how you would like to accomplish this.
1945 GMC DUKW
1942 Chevy 125 Crash Truck from Dow AAFB,
1944 Chevy 325 Fire Truck
1942 WC-54 Ambulance
1944 M29C Weasel (x6)
1945 CCKW 353 A2 Open Cab "Air-portable"
1943 M5 High Speed Tractor
1942 Sperry Searchlight setup with GE Generator
1942 M-1 Fruehauf Searchlight Trailer (G221)
1942 M-17 Fruehauf Quad 50 Trailer (G221)
1942 M-10 Ammo Trailer (x3)
194? Steel Ben Hur (x4) 194? Wood Ben Hur (x2)
1945 Case VAIW-3 Aircraft Tug
1943 Case VAI USAAF with Mower
1944 Clark CA-1 Airborne Dozer
1944 PE-95G, 1944 PE-99B
Fort Susquehanna
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Re: Specific Manufacturer Features

Post by Fort Susquehanna »

Bill,
I have about a 1/2 day a month. I'll PM you about it and we'll go from there.
1944 CCKW 353H1