Starting point for Generator trailer?

CCKW Trailer Technical and Repair Questions. Restricted to Trailers pulled by CCKW's /Chevy's/ and other 10 wheel trucks.
SpookyDad
Captain
Captain

Starting point for Generator trailer?

Post by SpookyDad »

I have a future project in mind to go behind my radio truck. I was considering starting with a Ben Hur trailer but I would end up stripping off too much for my concience to bear. I have been offered a Ben Hur axle. The trailer was in a fire and the leaf springs were heated enough to lose their temper. My question is, are the hubs and fenders available at a reasonable cost? Are wheels, hubs, and fenders going to end up costing me more than finding a junker Ben Hur? The pictures are of the trailer I am trying to build.

Neil
1945 CCKW 353 Fire Truck to German Kfz72 Radio Van conversion.
http://716heer.org
Houston Texas
Cat Man
Major
Major

Re: Starting point for Generator trailer?

Post by Cat Man »

Hi Neil,

Looks like an interesting project.

I would not bother with a trailer that was has been in a fire. Fenders and other parts are harder to find than a whole trailer.

I know of a couple trailers in our area that would meet your requirements. Box is trashed but the rest could be used for your project.

PM me if interested. I'll get you the contacts.

Cat Man
40 Years An Engine Guy
30 Years A Caterpillar Guy
Still Learning Every Day
SpookyDad
Captain
Captain

Re: Starting point for Generator trailer?

Post by SpookyDad »

Cat Man

Thanks for the offer but I still have a long way to go on my truck. I can only afford one cash draining project at a time. :D

I only brought this up because I was offered the axle.

Neil
1945 CCKW 353 Fire Truck to German Kfz72 Radio Van conversion.
http://716heer.org
Houston Texas