Directors Trailer

CCKW Trailer Technical and Repair Questions. Restricted to Trailers pulled by CCKW's /Chevy's/ and other 10 wheel trucks.
Draftee

Directors Trailer

Post by 353 »

I need to blue drab stencil my Brill Directors Trailer. I have never seen a war time or post war picture of a registration number on one of these trailers. I assume it goes on the tailgate like a Ben Hur per AR 850-5. Any idea what digit the number should start with and how many digits? I think the answer may be in the AR 850-10 manual. Thanks in advance. Paul
Karoshi
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Directors Trailer

Post by Karoshi »

Paul I assume you already have a copy of AR850-10 ? Its freely available to download if not. The directors trailer like any other trailer should have its own individual vehicle marker..its serial No. and depending on time period and zone of operation it should also have "other" markings.

The blue drab statement suggests to me that this is a "factory" issue and so may well not have had its "other" markings if its not been issued to a unit, or sent to a theatre of operations.

We're lucky this side of the pond for everything was "issued" and in theatre by the time in arrived in the ETO, so we can add the Allied Recognition Star, shipping weight info and unit numbers etc to everything !

The one thing we can be sure of is that the trailer will have had its own identifier on the rear panel, in blue drab if early period and would this have been a 7 digit number beginning 00????? If looking at later time frames that identifier may well have been in white lustreless paint and may stretch to a 8 digit number.

There is a nice picture of a M14 Directors trailer in Boniface & Jeudy, shown disembarking at Omaha beach, 3/4 front view showing Allied Recognition Stars on front, side panels and top panels, but with no other markings visible. The stars are almost certainly in white.

What time frame/theatre are you looking for ?

Hope this helps a little.
Draftee

Re: Directors Trailer

Post by 353 »

Thank you. I have an M14 that is missing its hard top. I am finishing it as a factory trailer, pre assigned to a unit.

I have not been able to find AR850-10 on the web to download, so I will buy a copy, perhaps though Portrayal Press. I have seen some great images in the TM9-2300 since this post. What you posted is clearly evident in these pictures.

I have not seen the picture you are referring to, but will try and find that image(book). Thank you,

Paul