Need G-518 Help!

CCKW Trailer Technical and Repair Questions. Restricted to Trailers pulled by CCKW's /Chevy's/ and other 10 wheel trucks.
rhinexing
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Need G-518 Help!

Post by rhinexing »

Sorry for the cross-post from G503. I'm just trying to cover all the bases...

I'm hoping you trailer gurus can help! I finally purchased the manuals for my 1-ton trailer from Portrayal Press. On the cover of TM-10-1471, which is the parts list & maintenance manual printed by Ben Hur Mfg. Co., they list the contract numbers & Army registration numbers of trailers manufactured by Ben Hur. The registration number of my trailer (012434) doesn't fit in any of the registration number ranges they list. I'd like to get a better idea of the manufacturer of my trailer since I don't have a data plate.

Here are some clues:
1.) My registration number is definitely only six digits. Trailers made by Ben Hur Mfg. Co. are seven digits.

2.) The parking brake hand lever is mounted in FRONT of the right fender, not behind like the Ben Hur manufactured trailers.

3.) Not sure if they are correct or not, but my trailer has tailgate chains with hooks (like those on a Dodge WC) instead of the pins shown in the manual.

Do these features sound familiar to anyone else? Does your G-518 have any of these features? If so, I'd like to hear from you! I'd really like to nail down the original manufacturer of my trailer. Thanks!
-Mike
Mike Pumphrey
MVPA #23687
1941 GMC CCKW 352
1941 Ben Hur 1-ton Trailer (steel)
194? Ben Hur 1-ton Trailer (steel)
joel gopan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by joel gopan »

Pre War version of Ben Hur, you will also notice differences with the manner the Draw Bar Rails are attached to the body. I doubt you will get USA# information, go with what you have. Hell, my trailer had USA and USMC Registration, and I am just glad to have it. It was stored inside a hanger from late 40s until 1989.
Joel
44 MB 356378- 54 M-38A1-41 CCKW 352-51 M-37-42TW6-45MBT-43 M1 BOMB LIFT (WEAVER)- RECORD SETTING HONOR GRADUATE Wheeled Vehicle Mechanics School, U.S. ARMY 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL 1962 - MVPA 1064 - RED BALL CHAPTER - PHONY VETERAN HEADHUNTER - ARMY FIXED & ROTARY WING MECHANIC/CREWCHIEF-STILL FIT WARBIRD COCKPITS