drawings or plans

CCKW Parts Wanted. Please included location. This is a World Wide forum.
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

drawings or plans

Post by armydriver »

I need a description or drawing of the head ach rack on the front of the bed of a tipper. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :D
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans
42cckw
Captain
Captain

Post by 42cckw »

Tm9-801 has a picture on page 10 also The GMC a Universal Truck has some good pictures under engineering. GMC CCKW 352-353 1940-1945 by Emile Becker has some very good pictures and for anyone who owns a CCKW this book is a must have lots and lots of tech information with illustrations.
Cat Man
Major
Major

Tipper Head Board

Post by Cat Man »

Hi Driver,

When it stops snowing and I can get the shed door open, I'll get some dimensions of the rack on my Dump Truck. Another guy was asking for the same.

FYI, the engineers didn't always use the front rack with the cab protector. The dump truck racks in original form do not have any opening for rear view. With just the small side mirrors it is darn near a safety hazard. You can't see much astearn.

I have studied period photos of dump trucks that have an opening in the solid rack. And on some trucks, drivers have substituted the standard cargo front rack. I'm thinking of cutting an opening in mine and adding a rear view mirror from an open cab cargo truck. I also have used the standard rack. BIG difference. If you are hauling the local VFW clan in a parade you can't check on your passengers so I use the standard rack just for safety.

I'll post info in a few days.

Cheers

Cat Man
40 Years An Engine Guy
30 Years A Caterpillar Guy
Still Learning Every Day
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

Thanks guys for the information. I look forward to your info Cat Man. Thanks again.
52 M38 Willy's

Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
joel gopan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by joel gopan »

The Army printed easy to read TMs that are still readily available. TM9-1801 has excellent detailed photos on Front Rack and Cab Protecter. It is impossible to restore a truck without these manuals. Manuals are a very good investment. Portrayal and eBay are easy sources for the TM9-1801 Powertrain, Chassis, and Body manual, it details the CCKW and its components, and is written in the manner that old soldiers are accustomed to. Even has mucho detail on the Wood Cargo Body.
No serious CCKW owner should be with out it. I don't think there is a week that goes by that my 9-1801 is not consulted. Got a half dozen of 'em on my shelves.
44 MB 356378- 54 M-38A1-41 CCKW 352-51 M-37-42TW6-45MBT-43 M1 BOMB LIFT (WEAVER)- RECORD SETTING HONOR GRADUATE Wheeled Vehicle Mechanics School, U.S. ARMY 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL 1962 - MVPA 1064 - RED BALL CHAPTER - PHONY VETERAN HEADHUNTER - ARMY FIXED & ROTARY WING MECHANIC/CREWCHIEF-STILL FIT WARBIRD COCKPITS
Cat Man
Major
Major

Tipper Head Board

Post by Cat Man »

Driver,

I cranked up the Dump Truck yesterday (16 Degrees F) and drove it out to get some better photos and dimensions of the front rack. Used the hand primer and full choke and she started fine on the orginal 6 volt system.

My dump truck has a ring mount. The photos confirm that the dump truck cab protector will work with the ring mount installed.

The rest of the 25 or so detail photos can be viewed at:
http://s137.photobucket.com/albums/q224/CatMan021/

Maybe Bill will want to post them here on the site for others to reference.

Post questions or send a message.

Cat Man
40 Years An Engine Guy
30 Years A Caterpillar Guy
Still Learning Every Day
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

T hese are absolutely fantastic Cat Man. This is what makes this site so fantastic. Great guys willing to share the information needed to keep these old trucks going. I am sorry I did not get back earlie on this. Using one of my son's favorite expressions, This is Huge. Thanks again. :D
52 M38 Willy's

flynnoflynn
Draftee

Re: drawings or plans

Post by flynnoflynn »

Hi this is a great thread, there are a couple of owners in the uk who would like to rebuild theirs, is it possible to be able send us some more detailed pics as the link to photo bucket isnt showing any pics in the album! cheers mark
1944 353 dumper