Wood Steering wheel wanted

CCKW Parts Wanted. Please included location. This is a World Wide forum.
ladytrucker
Draftee

wooden steering wheel

Post by ladytrucker »

Hi there, my husband and i have a gmc cckw353 and we are trying to get hold of a wooden steering wheel for it, would you happen to have one spare that we might purchase from yourself please?
Cheers
Trace x
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

Those things are hard to find. The best bet is to have a new one fabricated from an original that has the wood gone. I ended up with a steering wheel off of a Chevy on my truck as I could not find a wooden steering wheel.
Joel Gopan might remember who was fabricating the things a couple of years back. I saw an advertisement on it, but don't remember what I saw it in.
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans
pfarber
Captain
Captain

Post by pfarber »

I have a 3 (metal) spoke wooden wheel... its either from a chevy or a post war GMC.

It fits on the 353 column and even has a horn button. You'll have to clean it up but its in good condition (no cracks in the wood).
42 GPW
43 CCKW -A1
Bantam 1/4 ton Trailer
45th Infantry Division Renenactor
joel gopan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by joel gopan »

The ones I saw were made in some boat yard. The wood was in 4 sections, and held on with stove bolts. Not all that good.
Joel
44 MB 356378- 54 M-38A1-41 CCKW 352-51 M-37-42TW6-45MBT-43 M1 BOMB LIFT (WEAVER)- RECORD SETTING HONOR GRADUATE Wheeled Vehicle Mechanics School, U.S. ARMY 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL 1962 - MVPA 1064 - RED BALL CHAPTER - PHONY VETERAN HEADHUNTER - ARMY FIXED & ROTARY WING MECHANIC/CREWCHIEF-STILL FIT WARBIRD COCKPITS
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

This is what makes this site so great. Finally interaction with people that can help with CCKW's without wading through all of the G503 mentality. Jeeps are great, but they were not the only vehicle produced for the military during WWII.
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans
joel gopan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by joel gopan »

Jim, the WWII GMC 6X6 is in a league of its own, comparing them to Army Jeeps, is like comparing a Cockapoo to a Doberman. The CCKW is not a vehicle for everyone, they require a lot more skill to operate and maintain. Shhhhhhh, don't tell this to a Jeep owner,and don't be quick to judge me as biased, as my Memorial Day photo will show that I am not.
Joel
44 MB 356378- 54 M-38A1-41 CCKW 352-51 M-37-42TW6-45MBT-43 M1 BOMB LIFT (WEAVER)- RECORD SETTING HONOR GRADUATE Wheeled Vehicle Mechanics School, U.S. ARMY 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL 1962 - MVPA 1064 - RED BALL CHAPTER - PHONY VETERAN HEADHUNTER - ARMY FIXED & ROTARY WING MECHANIC/CREWCHIEF-STILL FIT WARBIRD COCKPITS
robc
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Wooden Steering Wheel

Post by robc »

I have found wooden steering wheels at Beltring ( War & Peace) in previous years at non dealer stands, try there if you have no luck elsewhere, its a great show anyway.
CCKW 352-399807-B1. No 7 Set Fitted.
CCKW 353-359616-1. Shopvan. ST5.
Dodge WC53 Carryall 81577831(Sold)
Gemco 1/4 Trailer 1879.
CCKW Cab (only) under restoration.