E. O. Habhegger Portable Refueler Model PR-3

Equipment that may (or may not) have been supported by CCKW's and other large trucks. Stuff such as Dozers, Graders, Rollers, Pavers, Cranes, Oil Field Equipment, etc. Also Tugs, Generators, Compressors, Welders, and just about all other machinery and equipment type of items.
Fort Susquehanna
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

E. O. Habhegger Portable Refueler Model PR-3

Post by Fort Susquehanna »

I drug out this equipment when I made some moves yesterday and thought I'd post it here. I picked these up a while back and sold all but the one I kept. E.O. Habhegger was formed in 1927 to supply equipment to the gas and oil industry. They are still in business in PA and New Jersey, and this refueler is mentioned on their website. I found these in a warehouse on the East Coast and they were un-opened since WWII.

The test date on the card attached to mine says May 13, 1944. The manual for the item is TM 10-1135 and it covers the PD-1 and PD-1A refuelers. I believe the PR-3 is the USN designation, as the unit appears the same as the one in the book with a Wisconsin Engine. The one I have is serial numbered after the ones covered by the manual. The engine turns after a little effort yesterday. Note the tool box with jeep wrench- the worm and worm shaft weren't installed on the 9 inch auto wrench- I had to put the shaft in and peen it!

I am pretty sure these were used in combination with the F-1, F-2, and F-2A refueler trailers. The extra fittings in the cotton bags are adapters for different size hose than the 1 1/2 inch lines this one has. I am looking for a WWII refueling trailer to use with this one for when I do my Liaison Squadron Field Maneuver each year in September. I would also like to find photos of this unit in use during WWII. Enjoy!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8097163@N0 ... 452936657/
1944 CCKW 353H1
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: E. O. Habhegger Portable Refueler Model PR-3

Post by Bill_Wolf »

Great post! Thanks for taking the time to put this unique piece of equipment on the board.

Nice looking unit. I will watch for any pictures of it in use.

Bill
1945 GMC DUKW
1942 Chevy 125 Crash Truck from Dow AAFB,
1944 Chevy 325 Fire Truck
1942 WC-54 Ambulance
1944 M29C Weasel (x6)
1945 CCKW 353 A2 Open Cab "Air-portable"
1943 M5 High Speed Tractor
1942 Sperry Searchlight setup with GE Generator
1942 M-1 Fruehauf Searchlight Trailer (G221)
1942 M-17 Fruehauf Quad 50 Trailer (G221)
1942 M-10 Ammo Trailer (x3)
194? Steel Ben Hur (x4) 194? Wood Ben Hur (x2)
1945 Case VAIW-3 Aircraft Tug
1943 Case VAI USAAF with Mower
1944 Clark CA-1 Airborne Dozer
1944 PE-95G, 1944 PE-99B
Cat Man
Major
Major

Post by Cat Man »

Here are a couple pictures from TM10-466 Handling Petroleum Products that shows the application of the 30 Gal dispenser. She has a bigger brother that is the 100 Gal dispenser - mounted in a 1 Ton trailer.

You'll need about 1350 Five Gallon cans to do a forward field fuel point demo!

A cool piece of WWII kit. Hope these pictures help your display.

Cat Man
40 Years An Engine Guy
30 Years A Caterpillar Guy
Still Learning Every Day
Fort Susquehanna
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Fort Susquehanna »

Bill,
Your welcome! I just never get enough of this stuff, and I guess I'm not alone!

Cat Man,
Thanks for posting that. Your book tells me something interesting- there is a difference between the one I have and the text in your book. They must have discontinued the Y-coupling and dual nozzle arrangement at some point. The serial number is 5663 on mine, and the TM only covers up to serial number 5000. But the TM doesn't show dual nozzles either. This manual is dated January 6 1943. What is the date on your TM 10-466?
And there you go stirring up trouble. Who else would lead me to think I need a tank car and 1350 gas cans?
1944 CCKW 353H1
Cat Man
Major
Major

Post by Cat Man »

My TM is dated Feb 1946.

My wife says I have too many gas cans. If she only know what the goal is!

I only need about 1287 more and a fuel dispenser.

An interesting note. When we redid my wood body Ben Hur trailer we found in the paint layers, it was red and stenciled GASOLINE and Caution Stay Back 50 Feet on the sides. There were several extra holes in a four bolt pattern in the floor so I'm guessing it carried the larger 100 Gallon dispenser at some time.

Cat Man
40 Years An Engine Guy
30 Years A Caterpillar Guy
Still Learning Every Day