what type of jack for[cckw]

Kit and Goodies to enhance the display of your Chevy/CCKW. This would include moving and static display and the particulars behind these items.
vj
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

what type of jack for[cckw]

Post by vj »

hi list, i was try to find what type of jack was use for the cckw. also if anyone has restore and painted one. if ok post a picture. also the tool kit,s . thank,s wendell
4 halftrack,s, m426 5 ton semi. cckw 352 mb gpw jeep, m38a1 ww2 pu-32/c gen.
Chris_M
Captain
Captain

Post by Chris_M »

According to the manual, a 3ton bottle jack was used. I use the same jack with same spcifications when working at my truck. But for safety reason it is a new, modern one. I don't trust original old ones anymore. :D
45 CCKW 353 2
vj
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

cckw jack

Post by vj »

hi christ well i am trying to make up a tool kit for , halftrack, cckw, and a 5 ton ww2 truck. i think most of these vehicles had about the same tool kit,s. and pioneer tools, i have bought a hyd. jack at a flea market, for 5 dollar,s. i got to bead blast and paint. but don,t know the correct color to paint it. i hope to find some one who has restored one to it,s correct color. also who,s got the correct tool set up. these tool,s will just be for a display. your right about using a old jack, to lift up a vehicle.,, oh i did a reforger to germany years back. i saw germany and holland on top of a m60a3 tank. i was with the 1cav. i real enjoyed it, all the folk were very good to us. wendell in tn.
retro-roco
Captain
Captain

Jack color

Post by retro-roco »

Check out the illustration shown part way down the page here:

http://vehiclesofvictory.com/Chevy%20Specifications.htm

It sure looks to be black, with a label on the left side (compare it to the coloring of the budd nut wrench.
Item Co., 23rd Inf. Regt., 2nd Div. WWII HRS
(Retro-Roco)
Bloomington, IL

1942 Chevy 1-1/2 ton cargo w/ winch
194? Ben Hur water trailer
Cat Man
Major
Major

CCKW Jack

Post by Cat Man »

I've been working on getting the tool set for my CCKW for a while now.
Getting the correct jack has turned into a small collection on its own.

There seem to be two primary manufactures for the 3 Ton hydraulic jack for the CCKW. Most common I've seen is made by Walker. They have a rounded top as shown in the illustration on the VOV page. The other and I think later is made by Hein-Werner. They have a sort of flat top with a hexagon. Both have a civilian counterpart.

I have purchesd two Walkers at farm and garage auctions over the years that were original OD color under the dirt and oil. I also purchased an original one that had the old 1940's "GMC" logo on the side - the jack was painted blue. Civilian or Military? It had the same Walker model number on the metal tag as the OD ones?? I have not seen one painted black. The other interesting thing I have observed, is that quite a few modern hydraulic jacks in the OVM kit on recently released M35 trucks (if they have it) are factory painted blue and have an NSN data tag. So don't say they are always Black or OD. A military blue on is whats in my M35.

The one I carry on the CCKW is the same OD as the WWII truck. The really hard part to find was not the jack but the special long handle.

By the way, the VOV illustration is interesting because it has the two different wheel bearing wrenches for the SPLIT AXLE truck. Most manuals only show the other single wheel wrench for the Banjo axle trucks.

I think OD will always look correct because as they say in the Army. "If it moves salute it, if it don't, paint it" And anyone who didn't have something to do was given the job of painting stuff.

Cat Man
40 Years An Engine Guy
30 Years A Caterpillar Guy
Still Learning Every Day
vj
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

tool,s

Post by vj »

thank,s retro-roco and cat man, well getting all these tool,s will be a good winter project. now i know what to look for in the cckw dept. also . the jack and tool kits they almost the same for the cckw, halftrack, and big truck,s. i have as much fun hunting for the tool as looking for a m.v. part,s . this was the only jack i ever found. i guess i paint it od. away when i get through i get my nephew to take a picture and put it on cckw forum. i got some tire pump,s restored too. i hope some one post a picture of there tool set up that they have restored. i bought what was left of a 353 cckw, it was a truck with out bed. , with a good frame, they cut the frame up, for scrap metal, also they were trying to sell the axiel for a rock crawler. they just messed up a good project truck. but i will fix it back. thank,s wendell-[ cat man] i like that dozer
Cat Man
Major
Major

CCKW tools

Post by Cat Man »

VJ,

Here is what the layout looks like in the field. Compare the color of the jack with the truck behind it.

Cat Man
40 Years An Engine Guy
Still Learning Every Day
vj
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

tool,s

Post by vj »

cat man thank,s for picture, they worth a thousand word,s . you can find them lug wrench ever where in the picture. i will hit the flea market this week end. also i bought a old fuel trailer, for my 5 ton , i got it for 3hundred, it was at a scrap metal yard, they were going to cut it up. it just down the road. it,s look,s bad, but that OD paint will do wonder,s., hey they cutting up everthing for scrap metal now day,s.. post any pictures if can. i like them picture,s . wendell
lendlease
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Re: what type of jack for[cckw]

Post by lendlease »

Yes, the 100% correct hydraulic jack for your CCKW was either a Walker #926 (from memory), 3 tons capacity...or the Hein Werner of the same capacity. The HW was a glossy "kelly green" color. The Walker was olive drab. MOST IMPORTANTLY, the jacks were marked with "GM" or "GMC" half way up the side. The handles were also different.
arthur.m
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by arthur.m »

Just my five cents, two jacks off Jimmies from Norway. Black one has nice brass tag, 3 ton capacity, American Hydraulics INC, Sheboygan, Wisconsin, Model No M 308.5X; the O.D. one has no tag whatsoever.
cckw L2 Dump Truck, cckw shop van, BSA foldable bicycle
arthur.m
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by arthur.m »

Would that O.D. colored wooden block be a CCKW tool? Found it in the tool box of the Dump truck.

Regards Arthur
cckw L2 Dump Truck, cckw shop van, BSA foldable bicycle
Cat Man
Major
Major

Post by Cat Man »

Hello Arthur,

How interesting! I think the black jack model may be later or postwar. The round tube jack handle is different than the flat bar war time model. Both could be correct.

The City of Sheboygan WI is just south of where we live. I don't think the company is there anymore. But they have some great restrants and a couple local beer brewers that are pretty good!

The wood block could be one of the spacers that sets inside the frame rail where the long bolts clamp the bed to the frame. Some models have them to keep the frame rail in shape when the long bolts are tightened.

I think I'll go get a Sheboygan beer now :-)

Cat Man
40 Years An Engine Guy
Still Learning Every Day
lendlease
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by lendlease »

The olive drab jack at the right side is a WALKER. Usually, the Walker jack was identified with an oval shaped brass tag attached with 2 drive rivets where the lifting handle goes in. Looks to be about the correct height for the CCKW jack. The black jack I have not seen before.