Carbine Replicas

Kit and Goodies to enhance the display of your Chevy/CCKW. This would include moving and static display and the particulars behind these items.
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Carbine Replicas

Post by Bill_Wolf »

I am looking for an M-1 Carbine replica for my Chevy Fire Truck. I have a Garand mounted now but that is not correct.

For safety and restriction reasons (I take the truck to the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts and New Hampshire has recently become a Blue State :cry: ) I display less expensive replica guns.

I have been watching the prices of Carbines which run about $150. I saw a guy selling on ebay for about 1/2 that. (I know ....you get what you pay for) so I bought one from him. He is out of Oregon (ebay name rmedges2lo0).
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZrmedges2lo0 His service was excellent but the quality of the display gun sucks. Made in the Phillipines it is not what our hobby is looking for.

My Garand will pass the 2 foot test to the untrained and sometimes trained eye. This Carbine will not pass the 30 foot test. The painting is exremely chaulky and fit and finish is minus 1 on a scale of 1 to 10.

I am not trying to flog this guy. I am sure there are people very satisfied with his stuff it just does not meet my standards

So I am back to square 1. Anybody own a Resin model M1 Carbine that was purchased recently. I am looking for a weapon to mount in the Chevy Cab gun rack that will look the part.

Your input encouraged please.

Bill

John V Cliche
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by John V Cliche »

All the resin guns I've seen are in my opinion weak :wink: EXCEPT for Jon Shoops resin 50 cal it is a dead ringer you can't tell its resin till you pick it up 8) unfortunatly he does not offer an M1 carbine :cry:

Hope this helps
John
42 Chevy G7117
44 Ford M20 armored car
44 CCKW 353 A1 660 gal Tanker
45 CCKW 353 B2 Air-portable
Ben Hur 1 ton trailer
MVPA#26900
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Bill_Wolf »

John,

The Garand pictured above is a pretty good fake. It was $80 back 2 years ago from somebody in Oregon. I thought the carbine would be the same...it isn't.

While you can see it is a fake with the door closed and the window up it is tough to tell from just outside the cab.

Engineer firefighters were issued carbines so that is what I want to do.

I see Army Cars has them but I don't want to end up with the same junk at twice the price.

Bill
1945 GMC DUKW
1942 Chevy 125 Crash Truck from Dow AAFB,
1944 Chevy 325 Fire Truck
1942 WC-54 Ambulance
1944 M29C Weasel (x6)
1945 CCKW 353 A2 Open Cab "Air-portable"
1943 M5 High Speed Tractor
1942 Sperry Searchlight setup with GE Generator
1942 M-1 Fruehauf Searchlight Trailer (G221)
1942 M-17 Fruehauf Quad 50 Trailer (G221)
1942 M-10 Ammo Trailer (x3)
194? Steel Ben Hur (x4) 194? Wood Ben Hur (x2)
1945 Case VAIW-3 Aircraft Tug
1943 Case VAI USAAF with Mower
1944 Clark CA-1 Airborne Dozer
1944 PE-95G, 1944 PE-99B
John V Cliche
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by John V Cliche »

The versions that Kevin has have the later style bayonet lug.
I've seen his 50's never have seen the smaller arms.

Cheers
John
42 Chevy G7117
44 Ford M20 armored car
44 CCKW 353 A1 660 gal Tanker
45 CCKW 353 B2 Air-portable
Ben Hur 1 ton trailer
MVPA#26900
Cat Man
Major
Major

Carbine Replica Guns

Post by Cat Man »

Weasel,

I know I don't want to put real weapons on display in the trucks. I have lost a few field equipment items at public displays. My philosophy on display guns is they should not be "too" realistic. The last thing I want is someone calling the the local sheriff and telling him that "nut" with the army trucks has a "Machine Gun".

So my replica M2 50 Cal is intentionally not "too" realistic for the CCKW ring mount.

The resin guns that Kronlund has a pretty good. No "give away" prices for sure. Nothing is getting any cheaper. I'll be at Army Cars USA for the Winter MVPA Red Bull Chapter meeting in a couple of weeks. If you want, I can look the Carbines over and photo for you. The post war bayonet lug on them is an issue if you really want to be that fussy. Check and see if they have the early model.

An interesting story. Two years ago, driving the CCKW to the Iola WI show on Thursday afternoon, I drove past the Green Bay airport with the canvas off the cab and two replica M1903 Springfield rifles in the racks and the M2 50 stowed in the back. Never thought about U.S. Air Force one with Hillary Clinton on a campaign stop. Yup, just my luck, they had just taxied to within 300 years of the road.

Traffic stopped by state and fed's in all directions. But they waved me thru in the CCKW without a stop! I about pee'd my pants when they didn't stop me. Never looked back. So much for presidential security. I swear I'm not making this up!

Cat Man
40 Years An Engine Guy
30 Years A Caterpillar Guy
Still Learning Every Day
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

I have a replica Thompson that is pretty good. The markings on the receiver are excellent . I have some Chinese made Colt .45 1911 pistols that were orange. I painted them black, and the grips brown and they do real well in a holster with a pistol belt. I had a guy one time attempt to steal one of the pistols then suddenly realized it was plastic. When I confronted him he went off on how plastic pistols should not be shown as authentic in a display. I smiled and said " people like you are the reason why it is a $1.00 plastic gun." He huffed off mumbling to himself. :lol:
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

Ooops, meant to say they are water pistols. :lol: :lol:
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans