Operation Yankee joe

Area for Discussion of non-original and non-Theater Modifications to the GM family of WWII trucks. This would include engine, transmission, and driveline swaps, etc.
Runslikeapenguin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Operation Yankee joe

Post by Runslikeapenguin »

I'm a long time lover of vintage iron and a long time addicted collector of any junk i can get my hands on. since i was 14 ive probably owned around 30+ cars and im 19 now. one of these pieces of garbage i currently have in my possession is a 1942 Chevy G7116 Cargo Dump.

this is how i found it, parked in the same place my uncle left it 16 years ago.

my Grandpa bought this truck a long long time ago and used it to haul grapes for Sunkist some time in the 50's. my uncle then bought it from my grandpa and did the same thing for a while and used it for various farm tasks. and finally the condition i found it in was where it was parked to work as a engine puller. well one day i asked about it and he mentioned he was talking to a guy about scrapping it for $300. i then screamed NO! and told him for $300 i would take it home. now how i was to get it there was quite the dilemma. this was in Chino and i lived in Hemet, around 2 hours drive on the freeway in a car, so needless to say it was going to be a long drive home in this.

so after a few days work it was running, rolling and considerably lighter \:\)

the trip home took a total of 7 hours of navigating around the back roads and dirt trails of Southern California to get it home without attracting any un needed attention from the authorities.

this truck hauls ass!

finally done, meeting up with some fellow pieces of American Iron.

over all this truck, even being an ancient and abused piece of farm equipment, made the trip without incident and like a champ. it did develop a few small issues while i was commuting to college in it but the leaking gas lines and the master cylinder getting stuck were to be expected.

but sadly after all this i just ended up parking it at my dads property and its been parked there for around a year.

and the other night i fell asleep thinking about the trip I'm going to make this summer i my baja down to SoCal from Washington. and for some reason i dreamed that when i went by my dads property the truck had rotted away and only the wheels were left. so needless to say it was on my mind for the next few days. i was getting kind of anxious about it and i came to the conclusion that i was going to take it back up north with me when i visit.

so im here to learn as much as i can in an attempt to get all my ducks in a row so i can make a minor restoration of this beast happen in a weeks time. yeah i know im pretty much Batshit insane but ive done this thing before. that and this truck dosen't need a whole lot of serious work to be road worthy. most of the work i have planned is just a serious cleaning, decreasing and some paint.

the more serious problems that i need to remedy though are the following.

1. The brake system needs to be rebuilt and flushed.

2. the 235 runs like a top but has an unknown number of miles on it and i would feel better if i knew what was going on inside of it. a friend of mine is an old engine pro and hes built a few hot rod Chevy I-6's so im going to get him to point me in the right direction in regards to the build.

3. this thing needs to be converted to 12v. its 6v now and normally i would leave it but for the convenience of the matter and because i want to possibly run more modern gauges and ignition it needs to happen.

4. and finally the biggest problem of all. the one i will need the gurus help most on, is the transmission. it has the original straight cut, non synchronized 4 speed and i must say it works well but i don't trust it. mixed with the serious amount of noise it makes and the fact that i know its been used without service for at least 30 years it makes me uneasy.
not to mention that i want to be able to cruise the freeway at a decent speed and the original trip home in this beast averaged at around 35mph the whole way. that would make the trip up to WA seem like an eternity. i did however get this beast up to 47mph at one point going down a freeway on ramp in 4th gear with the gas floored and the wind to my back. the engine seemed ok with it but the transmission sounded like it was going to go Chernobyl on my ass. i did the math with the tire size and the stock gearing and figured that the engine was only at 3000RPM's so with a transmission upgrade, an over drive and slightly taller tires i think i could get this thing to cruise 55-60 comfortably.

well that's about it, if this week bonanza build comes to be i will keep the forums updated.
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

If you are planning on going 12v, look at the article I wrote on the home page.

The chevy 4 speeds, after they are worn a bit make noise. I have never had one fail. They just keep getting louder till you can't stand it anymore and fix it... :?

Make sure the brakes are perfect.

Pushing the original "dipper" 235 to higher speeds is not recommended. If you need more speed, use a newer full pressure 235 or rubber gears (tires).
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
Runslikeapenguin
Private First Class
Private First Class

as for the 12 volt, im just going to rewire the entire truck, its a simple enough system so its going to be a hell of a lot easier just doing it all from scratch rather than trying to figure out the 60 year old rats nest. that and im going to be running new 12v gauges anyway.

as for the trans it looks like the best thing for me is a SM420, it should bolt up with my bell housing and my transfer case without any mods and its synchronized. later on i want to drop in a NV-4500 with a modern transfer case. so i can have an overdrive.

sorry if im making all you purists cry but this not going back to stock. im not "customizing" it my any means but i defiantly want to update the running gear.
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

If you use a different bellhousing, you will have to do something with the pedals that are mounted to it.

If you are running 12v, do not connect the feed for the truck to the starter. Run it all the way back to the battery. The 6v starter causes quite a voltage drop at the starter terminal.
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
Runslikeapenguin
Private First Class
Private First Class

dr deuce wrote:If you use a different bellhousing, you will have to do something with the pedals that are mounted to it.

If you are running 12v, do not connect the feed for the truck to the starter. Run it all the way back to the battery. The 6v starter causes quite a voltage drop at the starter terminal.
im going try to leave the bell housing if i can. im not exactly sure which 235 i have, if its pressurized or the dipper. i can tell you that they bell housing is the open one. thats one thing i really dont want to start getting into, moving pedals and all that. if i have to start fabbing up new mounts for the mounts and what not i would just go hydraulic clutch, Morse throttle cable, etc. etc.
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

If you have a small triangular sheetmetal plate screwed to the side of the block under the manifold down by the pan, it is a dipper engine.
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
Runslikeapenguin
Private First Class
Private First Class

dr deuce wrote:If you have a small triangular sheetmetal plate screwed to the side of the block under the manifold down by the pan, it is a dipper engine.
im going to see if my dad can get me a picture of that.

are there any threads about adapting a modern 230/250/292 inline 6 into one of these trucks? it seems like the best option for me. better aftermarket, newer technology.
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

If you put a good running full pressure 235 or better if you can find a 261 (very hard to find) you will be pleased I think.

You could also put in a 50's GMC 270 or 302 too with a little more work

The bellhousing for all the chevy's and gmc's is the same.
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
Runslikeapenguin
Private First Class
Private First Class

well my friend who does the engines just told me he has a 292 hes looking to sell and he thinks he has another 250 somewhere. (he has a lot of stuff)

i asked him if he could locate a SM420 for me, if he could that would work out great. i also lined up a buyer for my old engine once its out. this project is coming together rather nicely already.

i do have two questions however.

1. the transfer case on my truck, what is it?
is there a direct replacement like the SM420? or another that will work. im not planning on doing any serious off roading any time soon its just that i don't want it to cause any problems to arise during the trip up north.

2. i did a little bit of reading around here and read about a 6.12 R&P from the CCKW. any info on this? are they super rare or commonly found in the CCKW's. i actually know where an old abandoned CCKW is. i doubt of the owners would let me tear into it though, seeing as its lawn art for a car museum.
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

2. i did a little bit of reading around here and read about a 6.12 R&P from the CCKW. any info on this?
Translation?
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
Runslikeapenguin
Private First Class
Private First Class

dr deuce wrote:
2. i did a little bit of reading around here and read about a 6.12 R&P from the CCKW. any info on this?
Translation?
sorry 6.16 ring and pinion. what model CCKW's have them and are they directly replaceable?
Runslikeapenguin
Private First Class
Private First Class

kind of a noob question but what is the bolt pattern on my wheels?
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

Wheels are 6 bolt Budd wheels. There is an inner nut/M-F stud that holds the inner wheel on and an outer nut that goes over that one to hold the outer wheel on.

The CCKW amd Chevy ratio is 6.66 x 1. HOWEVER, there are two different axle types: split and banjo. Only the Banjo can be changed and only the ring and pinion as opposed to the entire carrier assy. The axles have a different number of splines from the civy trucks of the day.

The 50's GMC has a 6.16 x 1 ratio and the civy trucks go down to 5.34 or 5.38 to 1. Go to the home page on this site there is a description of what you can do.
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
Runslikeapenguin
Private First Class
Private First Class

yeah i read all the of the articles from the home page. im already planning on running 40" tires but im running into problems finding the right size ones that are the correct width and are not $500. hopefully i will be successful in finding some semi recaps that are the right size.

so with my Chevy i can just swap differentials with any of the Big nut chevy trucks right? if i can find the right ratio right? if i could get a hold of a taller ratio R&P i could run 35" tires which i can get easily and will save me a ton of money.

i think im going to ask over at the Stovebolt forums.
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

A newer truck will probably have a wider axlehousing.

The carrier assy for the chev is made for 10 spline axles, the civy has 16 unless it is a 2 speed which would have 13 splines. You can take a civy axle and change the side gears to the 10 spline version. That is the only part that is different other than the ring and pinion.
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
Runslikeapenguin
Private First Class
Private First Class

ok, so i think i just got a set of Civilian 6.17 differentials for free! woot!

so will the side gears on my new 6.17's be interchangable with the old ones that are on my 6.67's?
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

If it is the same carrier housing, the side gears should be swappable.
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
wc56daveyboy
Private

Post by wc56daveyboy »

been following your tread and wanted to comment on a few things.

First off, you mentioned the speed issue. With that "dipper" and the original 4 speed, you will never see 60 mph.
However, as the good Dr. pointed out, a swap to a nice "modern" 235 is a good start. Rebuilt it, and have it balanced.

Adding a 5 speed is a good idea for that "afterburner" speed, but dont expect too much! I mean, going thru the numbers it appears as if 65 mph with this upgrade will be the result. Not so.

Yea, its an improvment, but not all that earth shaking.

As you can surmize, I have done exaclty what I just advised. My 1958 year 235 engine was totaly rebuilt and for the extra 150 bucks, spun blanaced by the machine shop. Nice and smooth at the higher RPMs'

The 5 speed is nice, but like i said but you will still not see what you are looking for. Its just not that a dramatic increase.

Besides the 5 speed change over, you must (If you ever wish to use the winch) find a 5 speed with te correct PTO to run the winch.

I may have a 5 speed PTO actually, but it was from a bolster truck, so not sure (as its been so long) if its for a winch (front output) or for a rear output top run the equipment on said bolster truck, or a dual. Cant remeber.

But, if you ever go this route, and need a PTO, let me know. My 5 speed was a later model out of a 45 GMC. I bought the very last unit from Keven Kroneland. He sold these out of returned bolster trucks with around 3K miles, so the tranny is in near new condition.

Dr. Duece may know of other sources to help you locate one.

it appears as if your truck already sports larger than the original sized tires. What are they? 8.25-20 or something? Getting larger diameter meats will surely gear you up, but be careful! Larger meats require better braking! The larger the tire, the harder to stop, and these brakes, although perfectly designed for the truck in stock form, need to be in the best shape possible.
Expect to pay big $$$ to get your system up to snuff.

Dont fool around here. Better make sure you can stop.

WHat else. Oh. Spoke with this fellow in California a while back who ran the 292/5 speed combo. He was pleased woth it al around. He told me his next step was to remove the origianl transfer case and put in its place a modern divorved unit. Mostly, to cut down on all the noise, which I beleive the Xfer case is a large contributor of.

I think I still have his number. A mr. Hanna I beleive, with the 2nd armoured re-eancting group if I remeber. I think he still has a pcture of his truck on the VoV site and a link to contact him at there under the picture.

Regarding 12v, I say go for it! I purchased a 1 wire alternator to by-pass all that external regulator and wiring. SIMPLE.

Its the way to go. Also, I upgraded (ohhhh, what a term) to an under cap EI module made by Ignitor,

I can help with part numbers if you get seriuos on all this.

Send private Email
if you need assistance on part numbers and the like

Dave Austin, Frisco, TX
Brad
Captain
Captain

parts

Post by Brad »

I have a 42 chev 4x4 if you need parts you can see it in my pictures.. I'm on south whidbey island .. but sounds like you have got it under control...
Brad
1944 open top CCKW 353 A1 with artic top---1945 CCKW hard top 352 A2---1942 4x4 chev cargo...

Visit my pictures!
wc56daveyboy
Private

Post by wc56daveyboy »

hey Brad. I need the follwing:

Spare tire carrier
Rear bumperettes

send me a price and shipping of parts

Thanks, Dave in Frisco, TX