How to convert the CCKW to modern traffic standards?

Area for Discussion of non-original and non-Theater Modifications to the GM family of WWII trucks. This would include engine, transmission, and driveline swaps, etc.
Chris_M
Captain
Captain

How to convert the CCKW to modern traffic standards?

Post by Chris_M »

My country has strict rules for being able to participate on the streets and in traffic nowadays.

A must are modern blinkers (orange) front and back. Fortunately my truck already had these "gimmicks" when I bought it (ex french army). Additional brake lights have been mounted on the mud flaps as well, although the one original brake light would be enough. Now I have three operational brake lights. :) The blackout lights are disabled.

But two important things are missing:

First. The four blinker lights must be able blink all together (in case of emergency or breakdown to warn others) not just the two left and the two right.
How can I integrate this feature? I only have a switch installed that "knows" three positions on (left), off and on (right). A simple relais lets the lights blink.

Second. Our Authorities demand an "anti theft device" for the vehicle. That means unauthorized people may not be able to jump into the truck, turn ignition switch, start the engine and drive away. An easy task with my open cab Jimmy at the moment. Just disconnecting a battery cable is not satisfactory.
Does anyone know an elegant solution to disable electricity? I know modern army vehicles have special keys that disconnect the battery. Not only to prevent theft but also to prevent current from causing short circuit and possibly burning cables resulting in fires.

All these modifications should be able to be made without harming the vehicle much more. I don't want to drill more holes, remove original parts etc. My truck should stay as original as possible within the restrictions I was given by the traffic authorities.

Every piece of advice is appreciated.

Regards,

Chris
45 CCKW 353 2
John V Cliche
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by John V Cliche »

Chris
Change you current turn signal switch to one that has the "four way" feature as part of the switch ,here state side signal stat makes one I'm you could locate a version nearer to you.

Here' an idea I heard from Dr Deuce use an additional switch in the power lead that currently feeds your "ignition " switch you could disguise it as a lite switch or possibly hide it " behind the glove box"...or....?????

Hope this helps
John
42 Chevy G7117
44 Ford M20 armored car
44 CCKW 353 A1 660 gal Tanker
45 CCKW 353 B2 Air-portable
Ben Hur 1 ton trailer
MVPA#26900
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

If you are running 12 volts (I am not sure about 6 volts, might be too much current for the switch), move the ignition feed to the lead that powers the brake light switch. That way, when the headlight switch is all the way in (push-pull type) or in the center (rotary), there will be no power to the ignition switch.
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
Barry Churcher
Captain
Captain

Post by Barry Churcher »

Chris, go next door to Holland and get a switch off a DAF or a NEKAF. You can mount it anywhere out of sight in the NEGATIVE (no sparks) battery cable. You can run the cable up to the glove box and hide it there. It takes a key like a large Allen wrench. When you shut it off there will be no power to start and you will also have no current draw to kill your battery. The switch is very heavy duty for a large amperage load. I can get you a photo of one if you like.
Cheers,
Barry
1944 Chev. C15TA
DAF YA314 ----- Chev. G506
Ford F15A (4)
Chev C15A (2)
Ben Hur Fuel Transfer
Polynor Trailer
Drone Winch Trailer
GE Searchlight
Nekaf
1953 M38A1
Telephone Reel Hand Cart
British GS Trailer
M101
M101 with Water Tank
101 CDN-2 (2)
WW2 Water Trailer
M-274 A5 Mule
Chris_M
Captain
Captain

Post by Chris_M »

Thank you guys,

very good ideas from all of you. I will check my ressources and dealers to get everything I need.

Btw, I am running 6V, rotary Light switch.

Regards,

Chris
45 CCKW 353 2
John V Cliche
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by John V Cliche »

Vintage Wireing of Maine has the turn signal control you need.
Joe Hall does ship "across the pond " regularly.
Hope this helps
John
42 Chevy G7117
44 Ford M20 armored car
44 CCKW 353 A1 660 gal Tanker
45 CCKW 353 B2 Air-portable
Ben Hur 1 ton trailer
MVPA#26900