is it worth the eff? 235 DIPPER to 235 full pressure engine?

Area for Discussion of non-original and non-Theater Modifications to the GM family of WWII trucks. This would include engine, transmission, and driveline swaps, etc.
daveyboy
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

is it worth the eff? 235 DIPPER to 235 full pressure engine?

Post by daveyboy »

I just found this site:

http://carnut.com/specs/gen/chv50.html

It shows the HP rating for each engine thru the years.

I cant find the specs on the 235 dipper made in the 40’s however to compare, but if we were to make assumptions, one being the dipper 235 in ww2 was about 85 HP or so, would you say, compared to a later say 1957 or 1958 full pressure 235, which jumped up in HP to 140/145 HP, we see a vast improvement.

I got a line on a local 1957 235 full oil pressure engine complete, low original miles.

That’s what I am trying to determine. Is it worth it the effort.

Numbers are one thing on a chart, reality is another.

Any insight guys on this one?

Looking at the numbers in this spec chart it would appear so.

anyone do a swap? If not for anything else, the full pressure just HAS to have more releability and should have more power ?

Dave
chevy43
Corporal
Corporal

Post by chevy43 »

I have a first series '55 full pressure 235 engine with the water pump at the correct height. Too bad I'm so far away from you....

If you are lucky you can find a 261 first series with the water pump at the right height.... That is just a bolt in......

If you are going to use a later engine I'd just get a 292 and an SM420 and you'd have yourself a highway machine.....
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

I have a later 235 in my M6 Bomb Truck and it is quite an improvement in performance. I can cruise at 50+ all day towing the M5 Bomb Trailer.

With a different engine you have the pedal issue because you cannot use the bellhousing.

Stick with a 235/261.

The pump placement issues are dealt with by using a smaller diameter fan.
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
daveyboy
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

UPDATE... she lives.... She drives..All is good!

Post by daveyboy »

thanks to you both for your input.

I already went ahead with the later full pressure 235 install.. all is well. So far.

I used the origianl water pump and lower position, and just installed a smaller diameter fan.

So far so good. I live in Texas, and all thru this trial and error time frame of getting it running I had a few setbacks with overheating.

However, it had nothing to do with the smaller fan/ water pump location. It was the thermostat all along.

I finally figured it all out and now she runs bellow 180 all day long. No over heating issues even on 95+ degree days.

So far, I have seen a road speed of 45 easily. I have pushed it to 48 according to the speedo, but not sure how accurate it really is anyway.

my only comaprable rule is the flow speed of traffic around me. 45 MPH zones on roads I have been driving typically are driven around 50 or so. I was keeping up with, or just below the masses of traffic around me.

My guess I was easily cruizing at the 45 MPH, maybe more.. Engine had more to go, but I need to get more comfortable with the engine/truck noises.

So, the transplant was a success. I am slowly getting used to the machine and how it handles and feels. I like driving it immensely.. It has a very neat steering ratio, meaning many turns to EFFORTLESSLY turn the front end while driving it.

As long as its releiability stays up there, I see no reason to take this just about anywhere.

I have done all my due diligence reagarding new parts. All hoses, belts, plugs, wires, mounts all new. Carb rebuilt, fuel lines, fuel filter, fuel hoses all new and clean.

Radiator boiled out and clean as a whistle. New coolant. new thermostat..'
new hose clamps.

Engine tuned up, times and valves adjusted.. engine runs super with lots of power.

Brakes all new and adjusted properly.

New clutch, t/o bearing, Pressure plate, piot bushing.

I adjusted the steering as well. absolutely no slop any longer. tight and wander free.

No shakes on the road, no wobling, no drifting.. She is a pleasure to drive actually.

I guess its up to fate now.. I did all I can think of to get it ready for the road and minimize any chance of a breakdown.

OF course we all know that anything can happen.