chevy 235 dipper to 235 full pressure.. is it worth it?

Area for Discussion of non-original and non-Theater Modifications to the GM family of WWII trucks. This would include engine, transmission, and driveline swaps, etc.
daveyboy
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

chevy 235 dipper to 235 full pressure.. is it worth it?

Post by daveyboy »

I just found this site:

http://carnut.com/specs/gen/chv50.html

It shows the HP rating for each engine thru the years.

I cant find the specs on the 235 dipper made in the 40’s however to compare, but if we were to make assumptions, one being the dipper 235 in ww2 was about 85 HP or so, would you say, compared to a later say 1957 or 1958 full pressure 235, which jumped up in HP to 140/145 HP, we see a vast improvement.

I got a line on a local 1957 235 full oil pressure engine complete, low original miles.

That’s what I am trying to determine. Is it worth it the effort.

Numbers are one thing on a chart, reality is another.

Any insight guys on this one?

Looking at the numbers in this spec chart it would appear so.
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

The 50's full pressure Chevy engines have 2 advantages: they have more power due to increased compression ratio aluminum pistons, and they have a higher top end. That translated into both a more powerful HMV and a faster HMV. They have a couple of fit issues: The fan/pump is lower on the engine. You cannot use the shroud. You do NOT need a different or special pump. You need a smaller fan. I bought a smaller 6 blade fan and evan without the shoud, it cools just like normal. The other issue is that the exhaust pipe is angled back. That means that it comes closer to the steering box. Many people use grease in the steering boxes in these old trucks as it can be very difficult to keep gear oil in the box. That cures the potential problem especially if you use the 500 degree stuff.

My Chevy Bomb Truck had a 235 dipper and now has a 235 full pressure 50's engine. The other day, I cruised up the 3/4 mile hill I live on in 4th gear (I never noticed this because I never drive it w/o the Bomb Trailer). With the trailer (3,100 lbs empty) I only need 3rd gear at the end. It was noticeably slower and less powerful with the dipper engine. I can now cruise at 50 mph with the trailer all day long. Most of the events I go to are at least an hour away at that speed.

If you are lucky enough to find a 50's Chevy 261 cid engine, you have a real winner! I have found 4 of them in 40+ years of looking. I own 2 of them. They feature a full flow oil filter in addition to even more power (158 hp) so their life would be comparable to a modern engine everything else being equal.
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html