What IS a modification...?

Area for Discussion of non-original and non-Theater Modifications to the GM family of WWII trucks. This would include engine, transmission, and driveline swaps, etc.
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

What IS a modification...?

Post by dr deuce »

In the discussion of possible modifications to any of these old war horses, one must remember that every person in here has a MODIFIED CCKW!

Reason being is that no one would use a 60+ year old NOS fanbelt, radiator hose. brake hose or tires. Does anyone in here use straight 30w non-detergent motor oil?

So when someone says they have a stock CCKW, or say they would never modify they jewel, they probably already have....

It is all a matter of degrees and owners choice for their useage and needs.
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
42cckw
Captain
Captain

Post by 42cckw »

Doc your beautiful :lol: you get to go past go and collect 200 dollars :shock: since when is changing normal wear items , brake hoses, tires, oil ,mufflers, fan belts , modifications :?: I would call it maintenance because that's what it is , Changing out and replacing worn parts with original parts designed for the vehicle is maintenance.Taking out original parts and replacing them with non original type parts is modification.Replacing the original type 270 motor for which the truck was designed for and replacing it with a 302 that was designed for a 1950's M211 ,thats modification. Replacing the Original generator setup with a non original alternator setup, thats modification, If you have a 6 volt wiring system and you replace it with a 12 volt system you have modified the truck from its original design, But if you take the original 6 volt system and replace it with the same type 6 volt system you have maintained the system ,over time all parts wear out and need to be replaced, It dosn't take rocket science to know the difference. :roll: Doc I think your in the wrong hobby , street rods or hot rods thats the place you ought to be 8) you would be good at it, now those guys know how to modify :wink:
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

>Doc I think your in the wrong hobby , street rods or hot rods thats the >place you ought to be

You are of course right! I have to admit, I have seen the light! I will junk my fleet as they are not original and up to "standards" of the holy grail. It was wrong of me to drive the cargo truck for 40,000+ miles with the original engine, but with 12v. It was worse to then drive it 10,000+ miles with the 302 in it. Bad, bad, bad

I guess I have spoken heresey to others who write or call me constantly from around the world asking for advise on how to "maintain" or keep their CCKWs and Chevys running.

I guess I missed it when I replace the brake hoses with the same type, but manufactured in more modern times probably with different materials or methods, Kind of like using a dropping in 50's 270 in place of the original...

Guess I am just a Baaad person :(
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

:D :D There are always the purist and those that just want to enjoy their vintage vehicles. My old Betty Boop, a combat class restoration complete with dents, bent headlight grills and 12 volt electrical system, with modern copper cored ignition wires that rattle everyone elses radios, but she is mine and I enjoy driving her in all of her imperfect glory.
The purist enjoy their perfect restorations and care for their trucks and that is rightfully so. The imperfectionist, like myself, enjoy and care for my trucks just as much.
No one is right and no one is wrong. We are all hobbiest enjoying our vintage WWII vehicles. :D
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans
Capt Lee P
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Modifications

Post by Capt Lee P »

Hi Doc,

I so agree with you. I haven't driven my CCKW as many miles as you (about 15000 miles) with part of this mileage a 3048 mile drive from Northern Michigan to Northern California with just my wife and myself. What a great time we had over 21 days bringing her home. We love our truck and in a fact bought a property with large shop just because of a need to store our truck.

Any modification, and/or replacements which made the "girl" run better as long as its stays as close to original as possible is my goal. My truck is driven and enjoyed.
Capt Lee, Vietnam Vet, US Army, 1942 GPW, 1944 WC-51, 1943 Batnam T-3, 1943 Ben Hur (wood), 1944 CCKW B2 353
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

Great adventure that 3,000+ mile trip!

That is what it is all about. I would love to take mine up to Alaska on the Alcan, but the problem I have is that it woud be about 14,000 miles round trip! Besides the gasoline (2,000+ gallons) it would take (466 hours) if you could maintain an average of 30 mph.
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

Ouch, that hurts just thinking about it. Fun to dream about. By the way, anyone that is into Alcan Highway stuff, I have a great old Alcan highway patch that looks like the type worn on an A2 Jacket. That is to say it is larger than the standard sleeve patch for Army units. Let me know if you are interested and we can work something out.
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans