Lost but not forgotten

Stories about fighting in all theaters of WWII. I ask that these be stories directly from veterans and not previously published material.
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Lost but not forgotten

Post by armydriver »

While our site was down another of our World War Two greats went west. Brig. General David Lee " Tex" Hill died after complications from a fall about 5 months ago. He went out the way most pilots want to go, having fun. The day before before he died at his home, he wanted to have a party. His wife Mazie quickly gathered several of his old friends, got some balloons, and held a party. Tex had two straight whiskey's on the rocks and said he wanted to go back to sleep. He never woke up but he died the way he lived. Enjoying life. I will miss my dear friend as will aviation enthusiastist. I attended his funeral at the Fort Sam Houston National Cemetary . Among the notibles there was the governor of the state of Texas, the Mayor of San Antonio and Johnny Allison, another Flying Tiger ace. Yhe flyover was to have been four Apache helicopters, four A10 Wart hogs, four P-51's and for the missing man, the lone P-40 painted in Tex's number 48 being flown by Ollie Crawford. An extrememly low ceiling canceled the flyover, however for all of the military funerals i have ever gone through, I had never seen this. A Air Force Lt. General presented the flag to Mrs. Hill
Another WWII hero has left us but his history will remain.
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans