Touching story

Stories about fighting in all theaters of WWII. I ask that these be stories directly from veterans and not previously published material.
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Touching story

Post by armydriver »

I heard this story last night at the first meeting of the new proposed museum for San Antonio from a long time friend of mine, Colonel Virgil " Sandy" Sansing U.S.A.F retired. I have not seen Sandy in several years and it was great to see him last night so some story telling had to take place.
Sandy was a P51 pilot in the 8th Air Force and had shot down only one German ME 109 when he was shot down himself and he parachuted to safty near a small French village. The people of the village hid him for nearly 6 months until the town was liberated by American forces and Sandy returned to England.
This past Feburary Sandy returned to the little village after some 62 years and was the welcomed guest of all of the village, and especially those that remebered him when they risked their lives to hide him from the Germans.
Sandy said that the day of the big celebration of his return and old lady walked towards him carrying a wedding gown in her arms. She walked up to him and in French offered the gown to him as a present. Sandy was somewhat embarrased and told her that such a keep sake of hers should not be given away to him. She smiled and in French related the followiung. Her wedding gown had been made from his parachute he used to jump to safty. She had saved it all of thos years to return to him as it was his in the first place.
The wedding gown is now on display at the Cen Tex Wing of the CAF museum in San Marcos, Texas.
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans
Barry Churcher
Captain
Captain

Post by Barry Churcher »

AD that's a real nice story. It's unbelievable that she kept the gown all these years just to return it to the airman. It seems as though there is a little divine intervention in there someplace.
Barry
1944 Chev. C15TA
DAF YA314 ----- Chev. G506
Ford F15A (4)
Chev C15A (2)
Ben Hur Fuel Transfer
Polynor Trailer
Drone Winch Trailer
GE Searchlight
Nekaf
1953 M38A1
Telephone Reel Hand Cart
British GS Trailer
M101
M101 with Water Tank
101 CDN-2 (2)
WW2 Water Trailer
M-274 A5 Mule
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

I agree Barry and it is truly a touching story. Thanks for commenting.
52 M38 Willy's

Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
UK Jack
Major
Major

Post by UK Jack »

That is a beautiful story AD, what dedication that lady had - she seemed to know that she was going to meet him again one day. Angels?
www.hmvf.co.uk
A forum for historic military vehicles - inspired by Bill & CCKW.org!!!

Nothing is permanent in life, except change.
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

Who knows, but tears came to most everyone eyes when Sandy told the story and these are all retired military types.
52 M38 Willy's

KEVINABR
Major
Major

Post by KEVINABR »

WOW WHAT A STORY ......All those years and peoples memory truely touching for sure... i take part every year in a celebration of the liberation of the area of Pas de Calais, in and around Bethune, Souchez, and Arras which saw heavy fighting in both world wars...
We take our cckw on road runs through these areas through the towns and villages where every since i have taken part (well over 10years now), an old lady always stands outside her house which she proudly holds up both the British and American flag which she made as a small girl.... Memories eh
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

Cool story, thanks Kevin . I love to see the dedication to liberty and sacrifice from the people that lived WWII.
52 M38 Willy's