Damn close.

Stories about fighting in all theaters of WWII. I ask that these be stories directly from veterans and not previously published material.
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Damn close.

Post by armydriver »

A number of years ago I had a display of WWII items along with the 43 GPW I owned set up at the historic quadrangle at Fort Sam Houston. ( Geronimo was kept captive in the clock tower here before being transfered to Florida with the rest of his tribe of Apaches.) A tour bus arrived at the front gate of the old stone walled garrison, home of 5th Army today and a large number of elderly people began to wander through the beautifully landscaped area, dotted with cannons and tame deer and other wildlife.
A slight old man dressed in slacks walking with a cane wandered up to the jeep and began to run his hand over the fender, then he walked over to the table adorned with U.S. and Japanese artifacts from the war. He and I began to converse about the war and he told me he was in the Infantry and was in on the invasion of the Phillipines and the freeing of the American prisoners that had survived the Bataan Death March.
He then smiled a big smile and said, " want to see my Jap suvineer." he queeried, with his eyes shining bright. Sure I exclained, expecting him to produce some memento from his pocket. Instead he turned his head to the right and tilted it and reached up to his ear. There was a large piece of his ear missing. "What Happened ? " I exclaimed. " Jap bullet" He damed near took my head off." the old man said laughingly. " I was on guard duty in Manila and I felt something buzz by my ear, then when I reached up I felt something wet on my hand and running down my neck. I looked and my hand was covered with blood. Damed sniper almost got me." He laughed one more time, and I thanked him for his service in World War II and he walked away to join the others from the tour bus. I guess we will never know why he was spared those long years ago, but it was for something more important than dying in the Phillipines. I can still picture that big chunk of his ear missing , in my mind, and I thank God for men and women like him that were willing to give all they have to keep our freedom and he came damed close to giving it all that night.
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans