A tale from a Tiger

Stories about fighting in all theaters of WWII. I ask that these be stories directly from veterans and not previously published material.
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

A tale from a Tiger

Post by armydriver »

" He was a blue-eyed Texas, lean and lanky, six feet-two of fighting blood.He was the greatest fighter that I ever saw, the most loyal officer and the best friend. After he had studied the plotting board that the interpreters were covering with little red flags showing the positions of the approaching Jap fighter ships. I can hear him say. Well gentlemen I think we'll take off" And he would smile as he pulled on his helmet and goggles.

Brigadier General Robert L. Scott talking about David Lee " Tex" Hill in his book God is my Co-Pilot.

Tex has been a friend of mine for over 20 years. As a boy I had read God is my Co-Pilot and could picture Tex in my mind. I was flying a B-25 named The General when we were dispatched to San Antonio to pick up this legend of WWII and fly him up to Dallas to address a bunch of CAF pilots that were in formation flying training. I was amazed at his agility and forthrightness. He sat in right seat as we flew back to Dallas in the 2 hour flight. I turned the controls over to him and he smiled and with a big grin placed those size 12 boots on the pedals, took the yoke and smiling said " Hold On." Of course he was kidding, but he did some pretty fancy flying for a man ithat was in his early 70's at that time
A couple of years later I had the honor of introducing Tex at a dedication ceremony of the newly restored officers club at Foster Field in Victoria , Texas. The local CAF wing had restored the old club to it's former WWII glory. The best part of the bar was the giant murial behind it depecting all types of WWII aircraft flying towards the center with a giant V for victory.
It was at this event I made the mistake of trying to drink with Tex, drink for drink. Needless to say he won and I was a really big loser the next morning.
While we were drinking he related the following story. Not a story of heroics in the air, God knows he is a hero in the air, with a Distinguished Service Cross, Silver Star and three Distinguished Flying Crossess and numerous Air Medals. It was a story of just a man and lonelyness in a foreign country.
He related it as such. " One day I flew into Kunming and there was a C-47 in Chinese markings parked on the runway. I paid no attention to it as I taxied up and parked, then I saw two Chinese women sitting under the wing of the aircraft to get out of the hot sun. As I strolled by one of them she smiled at me and said in very good English, Hi American. I walked over and struck up a conversation with her thinking that maybe she might just be the answer to my lonelyness. We spoke for a few minutes and then I had to excuse myself to go take care of my business and daylight was leaving fast. As I was in the supply shack picking up some new magnetos I heard the C-47 leave and of course my new friend was gone.
A month later I was to receive a medal from Madam Chaing Kia Chek at Kunming. I put on my best uniform , shaved and cleaned up to meet the Commander of the Chinese Air Force, the Generalissamo's wife. As we walked into the dining hall there was my Chinese friend seated at the table next to General Chennault. My heart almost stopped with anticipation and fear. When my name was called I walked up to my Chinese friend and she, Madam Chiang Kia Chek, wife of the leader of China pinned on my medal. She looked at me and said in a quite whisper, " The next time you kill a Jap, will you think of me."
I agreed but I really don't ever think that I thought of her in the heat of combat, and I really feel bad about that.
Tex is in his ninties now and still goes all over the country telling his stories and promoting the history of the American Volunteer Group, or as we know them better The Flying Tigers.
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans