Do's and Don'ts!

Facts, Tips, Hints, and other snippets about the CCKW, Chevy, or DUKW
Kasper
Draftee

Do's and Don'ts!

Post by Kasper »

Hello people... A few days ago I bought a 352A2, which needs a little work....
I'm brand new to CCKW's, so I thought that maybe some of you have some do's and don'ts?
I'm 17 years old, so I don't have years of mechanic experience behind me, yet...

Thanks,
Kasper
Motto
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Re: Do's and Don'ts!

Post by Motto »

Hi Kasper and welcome to the forum. This is not the hottest forum in town but if you're not in a hurry you should get an answer to any question you might ask or maybe directions to where you may get the answer.
Knowledge takes years to accumulate and reference material is vital. If you haven't done it already I would say a first DO is to procure reprints of the applicable Technical Manuals from Portrayal Press or download them from a web site. No doubt you are more computer savvy than I am and won't have any trouble doing that.
The next piece of advice is DONT start out by dismantling the vehicle down to its component parts. So many vehicles have been lost that way as pulling something apart is a rapid process but putting it back together is a long hard slog and many fall by the wayside because the task appears overwhelming or the enthusiasm runs out.
DONT bite off more than you can chew. If you have the discipline, remove and restore an item at a time and place it in storage or put it back on the truck. A fellow that rebuilt tanks once told me 'there are no big jobs, only lots of little ones'.
Some people are whizz-bang achievers and make it all look easy, some are plodders and some are simply wanna-bees. Rebuilding a vehicle is a huge task if that is what you intend to do and it will test you. You will learn a lot about yourself as well as the truck. If you are only doing what is necessary to get the truck up and running that is not so demanding but don't be surprised if the job turns out bigger than you anticipated.
Good luck

David