The covert turn signal....

Facts, Tips, Hints, and other snippets about the CCKW, Chevy, or DUKW
Niklas
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

The covert turn signal....

Post by Niklas »

All stuff on the CCKW that deviates from the original look sucks! Unfortunately some items are required if we are to use the trucks on the roads of today. Turn signal lights and marker lights are a couple of those things that are neccessary. I recently bought a 353H1 that had a pretty ugly set of lights. I decided to do something about it. The first one is a old trick: removing the opaque lens in the front BO marker lights and mounting a 10W bulb and you got acceptable front marker lights.

I then decided on mounting the turn signal lights on a set of hinges. This way I can fold them up under the fender when I want a more original look. I used small amber side marker lights commonly found in auto aftermarket shops. I screwed them to the hinge and put some silicon on to seal them. I also centerpunched the hinges to make them stay in the desired position. I´m pretty happy with the solution and will apply it to all my CCKW´s.

Now I only need to buy new tires with the correct pattern for all three trucks....

Happy trucking to you all!

Niklas
P8070031.JPG
P8090032.JPG
P8090034.JPG
P8070030.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1942 CCKW352-A1
1944 CCKW353-B1
1945 CCKW353-H1
1942 Dodge WC-51
1943 Dodge WC-52
Studebaker M29C "Weasel "
Ben-Hur Trailer
M-19 Snow trailer
Volvo C303 4x4 "Tgb 11"
Volvo C303 4x4 "Pvpjtgb 1111" anti-tank jeep
Volvo TVC 6x6 prime mover
Chris_M
Captain
Captain

Re: The covert turn signal....

Post by Chris_M »

Interesting. Here in Germany you don't need front marker lights. I still have the original light configuration in working condition at my truck. Just added the required turn indicator lights at the front below the fenders and at the rear mudflaps. That's it. The turn indicator lights are independent and work at any light switch setting.

Regards,

Chris
45 CCKW 353 2
R Cubed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by R Cubed »

Here is what I have done for better lighting and indicators on the front of my 352, the side light and indicator is on an angled piece of aluminium and uses 2 longer bolts from the brush guard to wing bolts, and to hold the lights on I have used 2 wing nuts so the light assembly can be easily removed. The left and right light assemblies are then wired to a trailer plug which fits in to a trailer socket mounted under the generator regulator on the bulkhead.

Front Ind and side lightR.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't say can't as anything is possible with time and effort.

1941 CCKW352B1
GP Medium tent
105 M2-A1 Howitzer
antifreeze4-30
Private

Post by antifreeze4-30 »

here is a another cckw , with lighting/turn indic in same bulb,