MY CCKW STARTS HARD

Facts, Tips, Hints, and other snippets about the CCKW, Chevy, or DUKW
joel gopan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

MY CCKW STARTS HARD

Post by joel gopan »

Maybe not. Do not panic and start changing over to 8 Volt, 12 Volt,adding "inline" fuel filters, buying Pertronix Distributor, changing spark plug wires, electric fuel pumps, etc.
The CCKW is a product of the 40's and most newcomers to these are products of the 60s and later that grew up with computerized throttle body ignition that starts in an instant, regardless of the skill of the owner. Starting these beasts takes a touch that only people who grew up in the days of the hand choke and Hand throttle can relate to. Your CCKW is just fine you have just got to learn how to start a vehicle all over again.

I get calls several times a year to check out antique cars and trucks that do not want to start. The owner will explaine how they "huffed and puffed", checked the tires, had it on level ground, had "mechanics" over, checked the wires, and a dozen other minor details, and remind that "it was just tuned" and they think the timing must be off or the points you installed are screwed up.
If the battery is up and the vehicle is still in tune, the problem vehicle is usually running within 30 seconds. Sometimes I have to go back for a repeat performance.
It is sort of a "man" thing to not want to accept that one can't start their vehicle. :wink: Face it, we wouldn't have won WWII with untrained drivers from 2007.
Each CCKW starts a bit different than the others, they all have their own starting personality, starting one is a matter of acquired skill and instinct.

It happens more often than than you think, just follow the posts on this and other MV sites. They litterally end up jacking up the radiator cap and putting a new truck under it.

Why do you think the Army had instructors, TM's and Training schools in WWII? :roll:
44 MB 356378- 54 M-38A1-41 CCKW 352-51 M-37-42TW6-45MBT-43 M1 BOMB LIFT (WEAVER)- RECORD SETTING HONOR GRADUATE Wheeled Vehicle Mechanics School, U.S. ARMY 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL 1962 - MVPA 1064 - RED BALL CHAPTER - PHONY VETERAN HEADHUNTER - ARMY FIXED & ROTARY WING MECHANIC/CREWCHIEF-STILL FIT WARBIRD COCKPITS
Chris_M
Captain
Captain

Post by Chris_M »

If standing for a longer time (few days) my jimmy only starts with the help of a few squirts of fuel directly put in the carburetor. Pumping by hand using the lever at the fuel pump is not enough with my truck :? .
But after that preparation my CCKW always started instantly at first try :D
45 CCKW 353 2
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

I find that even though it has not been started in some time, old Betty Boop will start easily after the fuel pump has been given ample time to get the fuel to the carburator. Putting some fuel in the carb will , of course, expedite that time, but that means taking off the air filter in most cases.. With a good hot battery, it should start quite easily without any additional help. :D
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans
joel gopan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by joel gopan »

WWII GIs were fighting a war, they did not have time to mess with little gimmicks.
The drivers were well trained and the vehicles maintained as they were meant to be.
Grab your TM, it's your best friend.
44 MB 356378- 54 M-38A1-41 CCKW 352-51 M-37-42TW6-45MBT-43 M1 BOMB LIFT (WEAVER)- RECORD SETTING HONOR GRADUATE Wheeled Vehicle Mechanics School, U.S. ARMY 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL 1962 - MVPA 1064 - RED BALL CHAPTER - PHONY VETERAN HEADHUNTER - ARMY FIXED & ROTARY WING MECHANIC/CREWCHIEF-STILL FIT WARBIRD COCKPITS
joel gopan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by joel gopan »

Face it, some will always have difficulty starting their beast, no matter how well tuned it is.
Fernando Mendes
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Starting

Post by Fernando Mendes »

Chris_M wrote:If standing for a longer time (few days) my jimmy only starts with the help of a few squirts of fuel directly put in the carburetor. Pumping by hand using the lever at the fuel pump is not enough with my truck :? .
But after that preparation my CCKW always started instantly at first try :D
I agree with Chris_M. :lol: What do you think about the prime lever in the fuel pump?
Jeep Willys MB DoD dec,16 1942 s/n:196275
Dodge B3-B 4x2 1952 s/n:90099559
CCKW 353 Banjo 1944 s/n:309623
Chris_M
Captain
Captain

Post by Chris_M »

My last posting here was some time ago. In the meantime I was able to work the fuel pump lever properly. You can even hear the fuel streaming into the carburetor when operating the fuel pump manually. It works very well now and my truck starts reliable.

Regards,

Chris
45 CCKW 353 2
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

Great Chris M. I am glad it works. Thanks for posting.
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans