How can I stay logged in so I don't have to delete cookies?

Facts, Tips, Hints, and other snippets about the CCKW, Chevy, or DUKW
chevy43
Corporal
Corporal

How can I stay logged in so I don't have to delete cookies?

Post by chevy43 »

I have been having a really hard time logging into this board...

Seems like my log in only lasts a few hours then I have to clear all my cookies and shut off the computer each time I want to log in. I is a real PITA!

Any help apreciated...
Thank you,

Treven.
Abram J
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Abram J »

Unfortunatly there isn't a way to keep it logged in. I have found, though, that you do not need to delete all of your cookies or restart Internet Explorer or your computer.

This works for me, your computer might be different!

While in Internet Explorer go to "Tools", then to "Internet Options"
From there in the middle of the window that shows up there should be a section titled "Temporary Internet Files", with three buttons. Click on the buttons titled "settings..."
After this another window should appear with three buttons again. click on the one that says "View Files"
Look for the file titled: "Cookie:@cckw"

I hope that made sense. If not I will try to explain better and do screen shots documenting the whole process.
-Abram
chevy43
Corporal
Corporal

Post by chevy43 »

I do think I understand and will try it next time I'm logged out..

Thank you very much. I have been avoiding this site because it has been so hard to log in and stay logged in.....

Treven.
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Bill_Wolf »

The cookie issue has been a PIA for about 2 months.

I am using the vendor Web.com to host the site. They screwed up the board back in July when they had a server issue...which they denied for a week...it cost me a $150 back up install to prove them wrong. They then admitted their mistake/failure but did not take responsibility for the financial impact to me and did not refund my money.

When they rebuilt the site they screwed something up in the cookie section and the emailing section. They blame it on the software but it is obviously the server as it did not occur before the failure. Most of the problem is that they have farmed off their technical support to some third world hell hole in the far-east. These people know little once the problem goes outside of their canned response.

I am left with no choice but to move the site to a new host. It will cost considerable money to move the site to a new host and since this is all paid for by me, and I am currently between jobs so nothing will happen until such time as I have a source of income.

You are just going to have to bear with it if you want to continue to post on the site.

You do not have to be registered to view others posts.

Bill
Last edited by Bill_Wolf on Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Degsy
Captain
Captain

Post by Degsy »

Bill, sorry to here of your problems and the expense you have been put to, please rest asured that we all appreciate your costs and effort and deleting cookies is a small price to pay. Incidentally I have always found it worthwhile to clear my cache of cookies and temporary files before I shut my computer down,it only takes a minute and is an easy habit to get into and well worthwhile.
GMC 352 B1
MVT
Over fifty mis-spent years of working on and
driving cars,trucks and agricultural and construction plant .
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Bill_Wolf »

Thanks for the support Degsy.....

I was trying not to whine but in re-reading it it sure sounded like I did. I am totally frustrated with the losers at Web.com.

Bottom line...The site needs to be moved. Web.com has become non-responsive to my needs and technical support issues. Once in a while you all experience a post and then the machine stalls. So you repost and then get a double post. For the most part that is not your fault but a server issue. It is sporadic and they are ignorant of it. I frankly don't know how much longer they can last the way they handle people.

I have looked at free sites but the "back door action" of the free host including pop up ads, harvesting email addresses, and recording click throughs and key words is inappropriate for all the members. I need to use a dedicated host that I have complete control over.

I have narrowed down to a couple and are waiting for written commitments to me about some hosting issues.

Stick with this guys...hopefully it will be fixed shortly.

Bill
John V Cliche
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by John V Cliche »

Bill concerning the cost to move,

How much will it cost????

I am more than willing to contribute something towards this cost ie; donation/ gift
You have provided a valuable service to "us " collectors,free of charge, it would only be fair to share some of the" burden"

Please let me know

John
Abram J
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Abram J »

I agree with John, I will help in any way I can, and I'm sure many others would too!
-Abram
Barry Churcher
Captain
Captain

Post by Barry Churcher »

Thanks Abram for the computer tip. I haven't been able to log on for most of the last couple of months, so like Abram and John I feel a contribution is in order. I would even pay in Canadian Dollars because for the first time in 30 years our dollar is worth more than the US buck. :P
Barry
1944 Chev. C15TA
DAF YA314 ----- Chev. G506
Ford F15A (4)
Chev C15A (2)
Ben Hur Fuel Transfer
Polynor Trailer
Drone Winch Trailer
GE Searchlight
Nekaf
1953 M38A1
Telephone Reel Hand Cart
British GS Trailer
M101
M101 with Water Tank
101 CDN-2 (2)
WW2 Water Trailer
M-274 A5 Mule
Kees51
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Kees51 »

Having to delete the cookie is a nuisance, but fortunately at least the board is up and not too slow, so I'll bear with it.

I am also willing to contribute if need be. This board is a very valuable source of information and I wouldn't want to miss it.
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

Bill
Thanks for all the great work you do on this site and just keeping it up. The delete thing is just a minor problem if someone wants on this site bad enough.
Jim
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans