Question about markings, size amongst other things.

Facts, Tips, Hints, and other snippets about the CCKW, Chevy, or DUKW
CQ Bookstore
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Question about markings, size amongst other things.

Post by CQ Bookstore »

Hello.
I am new to this hobby, so sorry if I ask something you might consider obvious.. :?

Anyway, time to mark my GMC. I'm gonna order the paint masks from Rick Larsen and would like to ask if someone can tell me the correct size (height in inches) for the following:

Front unit markings.
Rear unit markings.

Caution Left hand drive and Max Speed 30 Mph
Stars on front bumber, back of cargo bed and rear skid.

I have also seen some pictures og GMC's with stenicilling on the gasoline tank. Was this common and what did it say?

I found the old vehicle number on the hood and the star there, plus the stars on the side of the cab. That made my day. :D

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Tom V.G.Nilsen
Drammen, Norway
1944 GMC CCKW A2, Open
Kees51
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Kees51 »

Hello Tom

A lot of info on the marking of your truck is right here on the site: http://cckw.org/tm9-850.htm

The stenciling on the gas tank probably is the shipping information of the truck, length, width, weight, that sort of thing.

There also is an excellent book you might want to buy "Marquages et Organisation" by Emile Becker. It is in French and German and tells all there is to know about markings.
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Bill_Wolf »

Hello Tom,

Kees information is correct most of what you need is on the site.

Rick is highly skilled in knowing what is supposed to be on your truck as per regulations. All you have to do is tell him which division, battalion, company, and vehicle number and he will make them for you.

The only variation is the size of the front bumper height which would be winch versus non-winch.

Rick does superb work.

Bill
CQ Bookstore
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by CQ Bookstore »

Thanks for your replies.
I thought I had seen everything on this page, but I missed that one. So thanks again.

Now I just have to decide a unit before ordering from Rick.

Anyone knows what kind of units within a Armored or Infantry Division in Western Europe 1944-45 that recieved CCKW's?
Only engineer, artillery and transportation units?

Tom
1944 GMC CCKW A2, Open
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Bill_Wolf »

Tom,

I believe that you will find that every infantry and Armored unit in the ETO had at least 1 CCKW Cargo in its possession. I know for a fact that the 1st Infantry had at least 1 down to the Battalion level of each regiment.

If additional trucks were needed to move the troops long distances they were requested from Transportation Corps Companies.

I have seen this verified in writing in many places. Just have to remember where.

Bill
CQ Bookstore
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by CQ Bookstore »

Thanks. That is really great info.

I think I will mark my CCKW as a unit within the 3rd Armored Division.

Tom
1944 GMC CCKW A2, Open
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

Enjoy your truck and remember, she is a piece of history. Not only from WWII but also for her service to your country.
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans
Cat Man
Major
Major

CCKW Marking Armored div

Post by Cat Man »

Tom,

I think Bill was a little bit light in his estimate on CCKW's in a Battalion.

The Table of Organization and Equipment (TO&E) for a US Armored Division right after WWII, authorized a total of 3269 vehicles (not including trailers).

There were a total of 795 CCKW Cargo Trucks in the Division. 24 CCKW's in each Armored Infantry Bn, 118 CCKW's in the QM Bn and 107 CCKW in the Ord Bn. 61 CCKW Dump Trucks in the Engineer Bn. The list goes on and on.

That gives you an idea of how many there were. If you want to see the the whole chart, let me know and we can post it. The print is too small to insert the detail here. Also have other unit TO&E charts.

I like to pick a smaller unit that makes the truck a bit more unique. Pick something like the Ord Maintanence Company. That way you can pile anything in the back of the truck and it would look "right".

Glad to have you on the site. Have fun.

Cat Man
40 Years An Engine Guy
30 Years A Caterpillar Guy
Still Learning Every Day
CQ Bookstore
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by CQ Bookstore »

hey.
Thanks for additional info. I would like to see that chart if you have a chance to post. I have currently been looking for something like that online, but havent found anything with numbers of vehicles etc.

About marking, I think a transportation unit is a little to "standard". I will stasj my vehicle with camo nettings, ammo cans, jerry cans, bags and lots of add ons.
I had thought of an Ord Maintanence or Engineer company, but found the picture below. A 352 of the Recon Btn in the 3rd Armored Division.
Maybe that will be most suitable consodering all the add ons I will stasj the vehicle with.. ?
http://www.3ad.com/history/wwll/special ... pows.2.htm

armydriver, I will take care of this baby as she deserves. As you said, she has done service for both our countries and is also to me a reminder of the great bond that has always been between Norway and the US.

Tom
1944 GMC CCKW A2, Open