Seats in Open Cab Models

Facts, Tips, Hints, and other snippets about the CCKW, Chevy, or DUKW
Cat Man
Major
Major

Seats in Open Cab Models

Post by Cat Man »

Is it just me (I'm 5'6" wearing 2 buckle Combat Boots) or do other CCKW owners find the standard seat cushion and back arrangment way too low to see and drive comfortably?

I've seen vintage photo's with an extra seat back cushion in the cabs.
Was that standard practice?

I add an extra bottom cushion from an M35 on the seat and set an extra CCKW back cushion on the drivers side in my open cab truck and it makes a world of difference to drive. Especially in prades were maximium visability is required to avoid running over small children.

I don't think all the WWII drivers were required to be 6' 3" but the seats sure seem designed that way. Anybody else cheating with a "booster seat"?

Cat Man
40 Years An Engine Guy
30 Years A Caterpillar Guy
Still Learning Every Day
Chappers
Captain
Captain

Post by Chappers »

I've got much larger hardboard based hard sponge seats in my 353 which does make it a lot more of a comfortable drive than the original seats.I've got the original spring seats in my 352 which does hinder your view to an extent,I'll be getting some booster made to fit under the originals .
http://www.501para.net http://www.n44.co.uk
CCKW 352 1942 No 7 set
CCKW 353 1943 cargo
CCKW 353 1945 cargo under restoration
Dodge WC 51 1944
Ford GPW 1944
Morris LRC 1944 under restoration
Polsten Quad 1944
Willys M38A1 1963
42cckw
Captain
Captain

Post by 42cckw »

Hi Cat Man
I agree with chappers, I have the same setup, stiff foam on plywood bottom, covered with od canvas, looks just like the original but much much firmer. Does not alter the appearance and lets you sit up higher. Beachwood has them , they drop right in and fit perfect :D

JIM 42CCKW
Last edited by 42cckw on Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

Interesting thread but sometimes a persons height does not mean that they don't need a booster seat in the open cab truck. I am 6ft 1" tal but still need the firm foam hard plywood bottom seat. It is not because I can't see well, but the steering wheel and my greatly enlarged stomach seem to battle each other for supreamacy when driving. I found that by sitting higher that eliminated the conflict between the steering wheel and my stomach. :lol: :lol:
Keep em rolling and happy trails to you. :D
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans
Degsy
Captain
Captain

Post by Degsy »

As I also suffer from Duck's disease (short in the a**e) Iuse a booster seat on the base and also on the back in order to be more comfortable.
GMC 352 B1
MVT
Over fifty mis-spent years of working on and
driving cars,trucks and agricultural and construction plant .
UK Jack
Major
Major

Post by UK Jack »

Nice one Cat Man.

I had the same question here myself http://www.cckw.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=

I am 6' but with the seats that came with it I can hardly see the end of the bonnet and can no where near see the end if the truck or the wings :shock:

Something isn't right with mine and that is why I use cushions when I am driving as it is dangerous to do anything else and I will replace next year and have some custom ones made.

I tend to drive sitting on the edge of my sit, this is for comfort as I find that I can get a little to relaxed when I am driving my Jimmy :shock:
www.hmvf.co.uk
A forum for historic military vehicles - inspired by Bill & CCKW.org!!!

Nothing is permanent in life, except change.
Kees51
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Kees51 »

I remember when I first got behind the wheel of my 353 I thought the drivers were meant to be basketball players or something. If I lean back while driving I can't see a thing, so I just sit on the edge of the seat like UK Jack and hold on tight to the steering wheel. A great way to stay alert and awake, with the copious amounts of roundabouts and other traffic hindering stuff in the back roads over here one has to be of quick wit and pay attention all the time while driving.