"Midnight Requisitions"

Facts, Tips, Hints, and other snippets about the CCKW, Chevy, or DUKW
valleycityconrad
Private First Class
Private First Class

"Midnight Requisitions"

Post by valleycityconrad »

My dad drove a GMC 6x6 in India and on Tinian during WWII (see "Newbie" thread) and I thought I would pass on a story told to me by someone who was there....

Apparently, the Navy had supply ships full of food floating by Tinian. If you had a "friend" with a truck he would drive you over to the ships to "liberate" a few crates of food in exchange for a case of beer. They called it a "Midnight Requisition". This is definately something my dad would have been in on!
Billie Conrad
Proud daughter of William F Riffel
Truck Driver (lt) WWII
20th Air Force 58th Bomb Wing 25th Air Service Group
CBI, Tinian and Guam
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

" Midnight requisitions" have long been a tradition of the US military. Even from our foreign allies, when things were needed. I recall an incident in Vietnam , when our main generator at company mess went down. late one evening an unknown Huey and crew flew to Camron Bay Naval Supply Depot, and strapped onto a new generator and flew away with it to our base. We quickly painted over the Navy gray with Army green, hooked it up and soon the mess hall was aglow with light. The pilot reported a lot of Navy types using the single fingered salute and yelling obsenties as he lifted off and nosed into the wind. :lol: :lol:
Man that was a long time ago.
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans