No Date stamped and Uncovered Reconditioning tag.

Facts, Tips, Hints, and other snippets about the CCKW, Chevy, or DUKW
Colin Britton
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

No Date stamped and Uncovered Reconditioning tag.

Post by Colin Britton »

Well I uncovered the Nomenclature Tag for my truck, it was where it was supposed to be on the center firewall under the dash but there was a plate bolted over it to cover a tear hole in the firewall. Serial number matches the frame number but there is nothing stamped in the delivery date box. Has anyone ever seen this before?
And I was able to get the paint off the tag rivited to the dash above the glove box and here is what it says.

Reconditioned By Rootes LTD. London

Contract No. DA 91-564 EUC 96

Job Order No. 1,9011

Date Completed 4 - 55

I find it weird that it was shipped with no delivery date stamped. But the rebuild gives a DA. (Department of the Army) contract number. And it was shipped overseas so it was clearly had to of been accepted by the Army. Is this just a clerical error or was the guy in the latrine that was supposed to be stamping the Data Tag? And they drove off in the truck to deliver it to the port. Makes you wonder.....

Just thought I'd share my discoveries with all of you.
ATW,
Doc Britton.

1945 353-B2 W/W with 1943 Trackson Co. M-36 Gun Mount
1944 Ford M-20 Armored Car
1943 Steel body Ben Hur trailer
1944 MB w/GPW engine (project) On hold M-20 restoration has OPERATIONAL PRIORITY
Active Duty Paratrooper 82nd Abn. Div.
2nd BDE. 325 A.I.R.
3rd BCT 2-505 P.I.R
407th BSB Trauma Team SGT/Leader
Combat Medic
Fmr. Combat Engr. 307th Engr. Bn. Abn.
14 years in the 82nd. Americas Guard of Honor
rhinexing
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by rhinexing »

I have a friend that has a Ben Hur trailer with the data plate still intact. No date is stamped on there either.
-Mike
Mike Pumphrey
MVPA #23687
1941 GMC CCKW 352
1941 Ben Hur 1-ton Trailer (steel)
194? Ben Hur 1-ton Trailer (steel)
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

The data plates are a recorded history of these old trucks and are very important to identify their importance in history. Thanks for sharing.
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans
Colin Britton
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Colin Britton »

Well I talked to the 82nd Museum's curator Mr Aarsen about the reconditioning tag on the truck, and that it was done under a D.A. (Dept of Army) contract in London. And he stated that it was more than likely the Army reconditioning the trucks to transfur the trucks to countries in Europe for the MDAP. (Mutual Defence Assistance Program). In my trucks case Norway.
Which makes sence as the 1950's is then the Keiser/Reo M-35's were being shipped to the Army. And the old WWII trucks were being DX'ed for the new M-35's.
I did some quick internet reaserch on the Rootes Company LTD. in London, it would be neat if they stll had their old records of this contract w/the Army and see if the paperwork could be found for my truck.
ATW,
Doc Britton.

1945 353-B2 W/W with 1943 Trackson Co. M-36 Gun Mount
1944 Ford M-20 Armored Car
1943 Steel body Ben Hur trailer
1944 MB w/GPW engine (project) On hold M-20 restoration has OPERATIONAL PRIORITY
Active Duty Paratrooper 82nd Abn. Div.
2nd BDE. 325 A.I.R.
3rd BCT 2-505 P.I.R
407th BSB Trauma Team SGT/Leader
Combat Medic
Fmr. Combat Engr. 307th Engr. Bn. Abn.
14 years in the 82nd. Americas Guard of Honor
42cckw
Captain
Captain

Post by 42cckw »

Hi Doc
My January 1942 production 353 was reconditioned by Rootes on the same contract as yours, with the only difference being the job order # is 19092 with yours being 19011. My truck is also ex Norwegian :D And the recondition tag is in the upper right hand corner just to the right of the glove box on my truck :!:

JIM 42CCKW
Degsy
Captain
Captain

Post by Degsy »

Hi Doc
Rootes were the company that manufactured Hillman, Humber, Sunbeam and Singer cars and Commer, Karrier and Dodge trucks. Their factories were mainly in Coventry but as some of the trucks were called Kew Dodges I assume they had a factory at Kew in London which may account for the address on your rebuild plate unless it is just an office address.
Rootes were taken over and are now part of Peugeot.

Cheers
Degsy
GMC 352 B1
MVT
Over fifty mis-spent years of working on and
driving cars,trucks and agricultural and construction plant .