snow plow ww2 pics info?

Facts, Tips, Hints, and other snippets about the CCKW, Chevy, or DUKW
weberwlk
Sergeant
Sergeant

snow plow ww2 pics info?

Post by weberwlk »

anyone have any information on ww2 snow plows for the chevy and cckw. there is a manual out there but i have been unable to locate it.

bill
profesional restorations
chevy 41 4x4
5 trailers
joel gopan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by joel gopan »

I have seen evidence of CCKW Snowplows in the Unit Newspapers of units stationed at Dow AFB after WWII. It is not going to be easy to determine if it was a standard set up or not. In Bangor there was a truck equipment dealer that serviced the equipment from Dow, they were a Gar Wood Dealer and installed plows on the CCKWs and early M-Series 5 Ton trucks. The same plow for a CCKW would not necessarily fit the Chevrolet 4X4 because of the differences of the chassis. There were trucks sold to the Military in WWII that were made to remove snow.The Snow removal Equipment procured during WWII at Army Bases, and Army airfields were Enginees responsibility, and not Ordnance types. Oshkosh, FWD, and Walters supplied special trucks with Plows or Snowblowers. Marmon Herrington conversion produced a conversion of a 1942 Ford 1 1/2 Ton truck with Snowblower that was found at small airfields in WWII. I have had access to manuals for most all WWII Ordnance and Engineers equipment,and have never seen any on Snowplows for the CCKW/Chevrolet, but that does not mean it did not exist. I have seen many Chevrolet and CCKWs post war that were used to plow town roads,and they were adaptations of existing snow plows, most were too heavy for the truck, and there was a lot of frame damage. The CCKW and Chevrolet were just not designed for heavy snowplows, as they had a very light duty Saginaw steering gear, and the linkage was not heavy enough for the extra weight of the plows.CCKW Steering Gears were a big seller in the 40s-60s.
44 MB 356378- 54 M-38A1-41 CCKW 352-51 M-37-42TW6-45MBT-43 M1 BOMB LIFT (WEAVER)- RECORD SETTING HONOR GRADUATE Wheeled Vehicle Mechanics School, U.S. ARMY 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL 1962 - MVPA 1064 - RED BALL CHAPTER - PHONY VETERAN HEADHUNTER - ARMY FIXED & ROTARY WING MECHANIC/CREWCHIEF-STILL FIT WARBIRD COCKPITS
weberwlk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by weberwlk »

the manual i heard about was a tm5-xxxx Snow plow equipment for gmmc 6x6 2 1/2 ton and chevorlet 4x4 1 1/2 ton.

never seen the manual just heard about it. thnaks for the info joel
profesional restorations
chevy 41 4x4
5 trailers
joel gopan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by joel gopan »

TM5 would indicate that it is Engineers and not Ordnance(TM9).
44 MB 356378- 54 M-38A1-41 CCKW 352-51 M-37-42TW6-45MBT-43 M1 BOMB LIFT (WEAVER)- RECORD SETTING HONOR GRADUATE Wheeled Vehicle Mechanics School, U.S. ARMY 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL 1962 - MVPA 1064 - RED BALL CHAPTER - PHONY VETERAN HEADHUNTER - ARMY FIXED & ROTARY WING MECHANIC/CREWCHIEF-STILL FIT WARBIRD COCKPITS
retro-roco
Captain
Captain

Post by retro-roco »

Bill,

Do you have any idea when the manual was printed?? The following website is an exhaustive compliation created between the years 1946 and 1949 of US Army manuals, including Field Manuals, Technical Manuals, Technical Bulletins, etc, etc! The data can be searched by title, branch of service, manual number, etc.

I've looked a little bit, but didn't come across anything that sounded like the manual you're describing...

Check out the list at:

"Army Manuals Listed in the Bibliography of Scientific and Industrial Reports, 1946-1949" http://www.unl.edu/Bolin_resources/bsir ... 946-49.htm
Item Co., 23rd Inf. Regt., 2nd Div. WWII HRS
(Retro-Roco)
Bloomington, IL

1942 Chevy 1-1/2 ton cargo w/ winch
194? Ben Hur water trailer
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

There definately is a snow plow manual for the CCKW. I have seen it and missed getting it by about 2 minutes at a flea market!

Used the winch to lift the plow. I don't remember how the plow was connected though. When I see the owner this summer, I will inquire if he is interested in selling it.

As an aside: Many older trucks were equipped with push bars for plowing, These are bars/pipes etc that are attached to a frame hanging down under the truck behind the cab and go forward being just hung loosely on the front axle. The purpose is tp prevent the plow from having any leverage on the front of the truck should you hit something. I have such a set up on my 42 Chev 4x4 dump that I use for plowing. The modern Fisher etc type set up is not particulary good for the truck especially that way you see some of them zipping into a driveway trying to make as much $$ as possible per storm.
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
arnee
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Snow plow

Post by arnee »

The only picture I found.

Arne
41 GMC CCKW 352-A2.-43 GMC CCKW 353-H1
44 GMC CCKW 353-B1.-42 GMC CCKW 353-A1
43 GMC CCKW 353-B2
42 DODGE WC51
39 AEC Matador
64 VOLVO 903
44 BEN HUR41 M14 Trailer Director
51 Trailer,2 wheel, utility.-38 German Bridge Trailer
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

From what I remember, that pix was in the manual under discussion here.
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
joel gopan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by joel gopan »

Looks like French doors on the CCKW. You sure that plow is "issue"?
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Bill_Wolf »

Portrayal Press shows this in their printed catalog.

TB 5-9720-6 Snow Removal Equipment, Technical Data, (WW2 Corps of Engineers) 141p.
joel gopan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by joel gopan »

The origin of the photo is possbly post war non US Army. Note the font on the Bridge Weight Classification Plate, it appears that the RH Door is a drivers door and is of the French type, the RH Mirror appears to be European style,and where is the driver's windshield wiper. Sort of a strange set up with the plow so far in front, it creates a lot of leverage on the chassis which is not all that rugged. Does anyone know where this photo was taken?
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

There are no snowplows down here and I could only guess but I bet the Army never had any down here unless it was to plow all the BS that can develope on a military post. :lol:
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans
joel gopan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by joel gopan »

Note that the location the brackets for the plow are right at the bumper, the worst possible place for it, as it overstresses the front chassis. Fisher Snow Plow was mentioned, we were Fisher's first dealer in 1952, and his trademark was that the plows pushed from behind the front axle, the undercarriages were designed to put minimum stress on the vehicle chassis. Dean Fisher was a Mechanical Engineer, and a distinguished WWII Naval Officer in charge of Material in the Pacific theater. He married the daughter of the manufacturer of Howe Fire Fighting Equipment, was offered a job in Engineering, but chose to design snowplow equipment instead. I learned to drive in one of his test Jeeps, a 1951 CJ-3A, that he perfected snowplows on. Dean Fisher passed away in 2004. He never would allow an abortion such as the one depicted on the CCKW. I am not sure if he designed plows for many of the postwar military vehicles, he did have a variation for USAF M-38 Jeeps, and in the 60s he had a kit for the M-37. I have last one he made on my M-37.
Joel
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

The modern commercial trucks like the Navistar dump trucks that many towns typically have for plowing etc. Their frames are much heavier than the CCKW or Chevy from WW2.

A local town was plowing after the last snow storm and the truck mentioned above was plowing a paved road that eventually changed to dirt. Because of the warm weather, the ground was unfrozen for 6-8" and the snwoplow played bulldozer at the end of the pavement! The truck went up and over the plow, the driver broke 2 ribs and the frame on the truck was twisted and bent so bad that the dump body would not rise due to binding between the front guides and the hinges.

Most people have no idea how high the forces are on a plow and truck when plowing, let alone hitting something or having the blade play bulldozer.
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
Degsy
Captain
Captain

Post by Degsy »

Joel your eyes have not let you down,the pic comes from 'The GMC 6X6 and DUKW A Universal Truck,the vehicle in question belonged to 37th Camp Co French Army and the pic is credited Larzac, March 1975
GMC 352 B1
MVT
Over fifty mis-spent years of working on and
driving cars,trucks and agricultural and construction plant .
68427vette
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: snow plow ww2 pics info?

Post by 68427vette »

here is my 1942 FORD snow plow:

http://s867.photobucket.com/albums/ab23 ... W%20TRUCK/

link to gordons site:

http://www.gwim2.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/mhf.htm

i'd love to have a manual,, i think gordon has one.. jc
Buying all wwii dodges halftracks, scout cars
Gordon_M
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Re: snow plow ww2 pics info?

Post by Gordon_M »

I had the manuals Jeff, but they went to Australia with the truck.

There is a Klauer manual for the blower equipment, a separate engine manual for the rear engine, a Ford manual for the basic truck, and another for the Marmon-Herrington conversion. That's a lot of manuals.

The trick is to gather as much hardware as you can, and since you got an extra complete set of blower equipment you should have spares for everything tricky except the front axle.

The complete vehicle is 6.9 tons, so with that extra blower head and rear unit you have to pick up, expect to be shifting ten tons or a little more.

Gordon
Gordon from Scotland