New guy on the block

CCKW's/Chevy's For Sale. Please included location. This is a World Wide forum.
Bill Hanstrom
Draftee

New guy on the block

Post by Bill Hanstrom »

I just found this site and had no idea that anything like this existed. Do you guys have shows and if so where? I have been a car nut all my life and have hosted a hot rod and classic car show every year for the last 8 years. These trucks fasinate me and i need more info, where do find it?
Chris_M
Captain
Captain

Post by Chris_M »

Welcome Bill,

this is a great site. I started as a newbie two years ago. Knowing of this forum was one reason why I bought a CCKW. You can find many help, knowledge and friends here (Hi Thierry ;-)).

First of all, to buy a GMC, we need to know where you live. If in Europe you are a lucky guy. It is easy to get a truck here because many European armies had CCKWs in service up to 1985 in France and even longer in Norway or Switzerland. There seem to be many CCKW Van versions on the market right now. Mostly ex-Swiss Army. Price for a truck varies from 4500€ to 8000€ depending upon its condition.

Regards,

Chris
45 CCKW 353 2
Bill Hanstrom
Draftee

Post by Bill Hanstrom »

I'm a Texas kinda guy. I live about 45 miles souteast of Dallas Texas. I am not sure I want to buy one, but i would sure like to see one of the gatherings and visit with the people that have them. I think this is one of the best hobbies i have ever heard of and had an old dodge power wagon of Korean war era when i was a kid. I also helped convert many U. S. Army jeeps to civilian use in the late fifties.
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Bill_Wolf »

Hello Bill and Welcome,

There are Historic Military Vehicle Groups and Clubs scattered across the country. Most put on events. These are either shows, living history displays, or Veterans appreciation events.

While this site is primarily about General Motors 1.5 ton trucks and above there are several sites that you can visit to find out more about display events. The Military Vehicle Preservation Association http://www.mvpa.org/ and the Jeep site G503.com http://www.g503.com would be good places to start.

I believe there is a show coming up in Texas that is a premium type of event. I have seen comments about Brent Mullin's show but unfortunately I believe that it was yesterday and today. http://www.mullinsjeepparts.com/

To give you some idea of what these are like you can see past shows held by the New Hampshire area club on out main site. I was the unofficial photographer while I attended. http://www.cckw.org/mvmvc_weare_rally.htm

Bill
1945 GMC DUKW
1942 Chevy 125 Crash Truck from Dow AAFB,
1944 Chevy 325 Fire Truck
1942 WC-54 Ambulance
1944 M29C Weasel (x6)
1945 CCKW 353 A2 Open Cab "Air-portable"
1943 M5 High Speed Tractor
1942 Sperry Searchlight setup with GE Generator
1942 M-1 Fruehauf Searchlight Trailer (G221)
1942 M-17 Fruehauf Quad 50 Trailer (G221)
1942 M-10 Ammo Trailer (x3)
194? Steel Ben Hur (x4) 194? Wood Ben Hur (x2)
1945 Case VAIW-3 Aircraft Tug
1943 Case VAI USAAF with Mower
1944 Clark CA-1 Airborne Dozer
1944 PE-95G, 1944 PE-99B
daveyboy
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by daveyboy »

Bill.. This is Dave Austin, from Frisco, TX!

Glad to see your posting! I do NOT own a GMC 2.5 ton truck, but I DO own a chevy 1.5 ton truck, and you are welcome to come visit me anytime to see it, talk truck, etc! Heck, we arent more than 60 miles apart, a mere 1 hour distance is my guess.

I am a long time MVPA member, and participate in eventas with several local chapters (Red River in Sherman, and the Arrowhead MV chapter in Fort Worth etc.)

I can hook you up on dates of events coming up.

If you want to discuss, please call. 214-762-1356

Would love to show you my truck!

Dave Austin