Where did all the Trucks come from?......

CCKW's/Chevy's For Sale. Please included location. This is a World Wide forum.
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Where did all the Trucks come from?......

Post by Bill_Wolf »

Whats with all the WWII Military Vehicles (private and collections, restored and unrestored) all of a sudden flooding the US market.

Stuff was scarce all Winter and now, "bang", the stuff is available. There are page upon page in Miitary Vehicles Magazine of trucks from Frank Buck, Combat Vehicles of Easton PA, Jack Tomlin, Sam Werner, Army Cars USA, and other private sellers.

While prices are still too high has the collectors value gone soft on WWII vehicles. Hopefully our experts or one of the thousands of "guests" is one of these people and will chime in with their opinion.

I am a true collector not a investor or speculator. I restore my trucks for the fun and respect of having a 60+ year old steel soldier. I was just wondering what this trend will lead to.

So many trucks...so little time!

But still on the prowl. :lol:

Bill
1945 GMC DUKW
1942 Chevy 125 Crash Truck from Dow AAFB,
1944 Chevy 325 Fire Truck
1942 WC-54 Ambulance
1944 M29C Weasel (x6)
1945 CCKW 353 A2 Open Cab "Air-portable"
1943 M5 High Speed Tractor
1942 Sperry Searchlight setup with GE Generator
1942 M-1 Fruehauf Searchlight Trailer (G221)
1942 M-17 Fruehauf Quad 50 Trailer (G221)
1942 M-10 Ammo Trailer (x3)
194? Steel Ben Hur (x4) 194? Wood Ben Hur (x2)
1945 Case VAIW-3 Aircraft Tug
1943 Case VAI USAAF with Mower
1944 Clark CA-1 Airborne Dozer
1944 PE-95G, 1944 PE-99B
bobc
Captain
Captain

WW2 trucks

Post by bobc »

I have to think that BoB and the other WW2 movies have some impact on thier increased popularity,another thing is the increased media coverage of D-day and the Pacific campain,also alot of WW2 vetrans kids are getting to the point in thier life that they can afford a tribute to thier parents,then the fact that alot of complete good condition vehicle are coming out of foreign military service,rather than build a vehicle from assorted bits and pieces it's alot easier now. The same thing happen to the street rod scene,it used to be a hobby,and the average guy could build and compete with everyone else,but now you have to spend $100,000 to be able to compete at the big shows,I'd like to think that this hobby won't get so far off track.
Restored M-2-A-1 half-track, 41 CCKW SWB closed cab yard truck, working on open cab G-506 cargo truck
joel gopan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by joel gopan »

Tomlin and Buck have had some of these vehicles for a while, Frank usually has quality "turn key" trucks to offer, and Jack's trucks are a good investment, as they just need servicing and cosmetics. Frank Buck is a noted Military Vehicle Collector, successful businessman, and longtime MVPA board member, Jack is a charter Member of MVPA, 124C, Past President of MVPX 84-85, and also a businessman. Remember, these people have money invested, and a profit is in order. It is 65 years into the history of the CCKW, the economy is good, and the supply is not endless. Those who want a parade ready truck, will appreciate Frank's trucks, the hard work is done, and his reasonable prices reflect on that. Jack's trucks are just waiting for a good home, one of the reasons that they do not sell faster is that some buyers do not have the skills, time or facilities to recondition them, it is a lot of work,I know, as I chose to reprocess mine and it takes a couple years, and shop facilities. If I were to do it again, I would buy the cleanest reconditioned CCKW at whatever the price. Beware of those who advertise "movie CCKWs" there are some very disappointed buyers of those who trucks that were offered with "pedigrees", I can tell some horror stories that have happened in past two years. Another factor in purchasing a CCKW is location, face it shipping is expensive, and it adds to the total cost. Most CCKWs will eat up $3000.00-$4000.00 in cosmetics and the shop work necessary to make them roadworthy and trustworthy. You can add $1500.00-$2000.00 for tires, a $1500.00+ for canvas and seats, $500.00 for troop seat wood work,and a few more hundred for the little things. If you desire a trouble free truck, it costs, and even then they will require constant PM, or they will let you down. Now I see why there are so many Waterbuckets, they are the easiest thing to find and are low in cost, and a step in the direction of progress.
Joel
44 MB 356378- 54 M-38A1-41 CCKW 352-51 M-37-42TW6-45MBT-43 M1 BOMB LIFT (WEAVER)- RECORD SETTING HONOR GRADUATE Wheeled Vehicle Mechanics School, U.S. ARMY 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL 1962 - MVPA 1064 - RED BALL CHAPTER - PHONY VETERAN HEADHUNTER - ARMY FIXED & ROTARY WING MECHANIC/CREWCHIEF-STILL FIT WARBIRD COCKPITS
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

My only interest in these old vehicles is purely for their historical value and an opportunity to pass that history on to a younger generation. I guess I have been and always will be a history teacher. It is what I do best. Investment purposes has never been my intentions. I have a rather extensive WWII aviation ( mostly AVG ) collection and it will be donated to a local aviation museum along with my CCKW.
As far as the water buckets Joel loves to relate to, it has my experience that if one has an interest in getting a military vehicle then they must first purchase a water bucket. :lol: It acts like a decoy and will attract an old WWII vehcile, probably a jeep but for the very luckiest of collectors it might attract a CCKW. :lol: Have fun guys.
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

Mty 1st wife (everyone should have a 1st wife...) wanted to have a cartoon made showing me leaving Jerry cans in a row and a truck following me home gobbling them up!

Steve AKA Dr Deuce :D
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
Degsy
Captain
Captain

Post by Degsy »

Sounds more like a horror film than a cartoon but come to think of it horror sounds about right for mine.
GMC 352 B1
MVT
Over fifty mis-spent years of working on and
driving cars,trucks and agricultural and construction plant .