Front Page historic picture 6/19/2013

This forum is to discuss all aspect to the lead picture on the first page of CCKW.org. The picture changes every week and will be posted as the first post of the new thread.
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Front Page historic picture 6/19/2013

Post by Bill_Wolf »

Interesting and different picture from Life Magazine archives.

Looks like Air Corps refueling trucks pulling the Air Corps A-3 fuel trailers.

Rear trailer on the truck in the background is a Ben Hur Water Buffalo.

Does anyone know what the white/black emblem represents on the right side of the front bumper?

Bill
Vulture
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Re: Front Page historic picture 6/19/2013

Post by Vulture »

What a great picture !
"What we do in life, echoes in eternity"

GMC CCKW 352b1
My Wargaming Blog http://vultureswargamingblog.blogspot.com/
CCKW Photo Blog http://cckwphotoblog.blogspot.co.uk/
My Picasa photo Album https://picasaweb.google.com/116818008186149642366
Gordon_M
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Gordon_M »

It's just the Ace of Clubs Bill, it's on the second truck too

Army Corps markings were routinely washed off or painted out in the period running up to D-Day. This will either be an Army Corps, Division, or possibly even a transport ship identifier

" Answer
The ace of clubs was a formation sign for the 1st bragade of the 101st airborne division. Often wrongly used on other troops in movies."
Gordon from Scotland
Fort Susquehanna
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Fort Susquehanna »

FYI,
This a great photo and I like it for multiple reasons. The first truck is representative of what an AAF Liaison Squadron had on its TO&E (that's Table of Organization and Equipment FYI). I have photos of these trucks in the squadron I research, and their TO&E says they have two A-1 refueling trailers on the equipment list in addition to the one CCKW fuel truck. I think what you may be looking at here is part of the re-fueling section of a fighter squadron. When I first read the Liaison Squadron TO&E and saw 1500 gallons of fuel for the L-5 aircraft, I didn't think much of it. Then I did some math. The L-5 uses 12 gallons of fuel per hour. That makes 1500 gallons go away in 125 hours. The squadron flew 2000 plus hours a month in ETO. That means they used 16 full trucks and 32 trailer tanks full in a month. That means the fuel truck driver of the Liaison Squadron was driving at least every day to fill up a truck and trailer and sometimes had to drive twice a day. He was a busy guy.

Now figure on a P-47 squadron- 25 aircraft. The R-2800 used 210 gallons per hour at cruise at altitude. Those two trucks and three trailers in the photo, with 2500 gallons, could only fly 1/2 of a P-47 squadron for one hour. I think those fuel guys in a fighter squadron were busy!

Thank you for posting it. Other than when my truck was posted, I think this is my favorite CCKW photo posted here!
1944 CCKW 353H1