Picture of the Day 6/6/2006

This forum is to discuss all aspect to the lead picture on the first page of CCKW.org. The picture changes every week and will be posted as the first post of the new thread.
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Picture of the Day 6/6/2006

Post by Bill_Wolf »

My favorite Overlord picture of all.

Not only because of my Uncle who land there...not only because of the DUKW's in the picture....but because I often wonder what the troopers in the LCVP were thinking as they looked out over this scene.

The carnage, the debris in the water, the vehicles backed up on the beach. They were told it would be an easy walk up the beach, that they could go from shell hole to shell hole (made by the Bombers and 16" guns). I don't see any shell holes.

I just can't imagine what must have been running through their hearts and minds.

To all those who gave the ultimate sacrifice...my eternal Thanks!

An Overlord except from my Uncles memoirs can be found here:

http://www.cckw.org/normandy.htm
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

I was there in 1989 for the 45th anniversary and stood down on the beach and looked up towards the heights above the beach. The wall at the top is gone now, but you ask yourself how they could possibly have picked a worse place to attack (I understand that they had to take this as part of the whole picture). Up hill with a wall on top....

Thank you veterans from all of our wars.
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
jhscpa
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Lest we forget...

Post by jhscpa »

Without the brave, we have no freedom.
Search google news: d day
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

One can almost feel the tension and fear of brave men. Thanks for this historical photo.
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans
mick.wilson
Captain
Captain

Post by mick.wilson »

Great photo, We where in Normandy last year for the 6th, we where driving the 29th Infantry re-enactment group to the different cemetery's to parade in front of the original 29th Infantry survivors of D-Day, there where some moving moments. One of the things that got me the most was at 6:30 in the morning on the 6th we all went down to Omaha Beach and walked out in to the sea as far as we could with full U.S Infantry kit, we then tried to run is as fast as we could in from the water and up the beach, nobody from our small group could run more than a few hundred feet with all the wool kit holding on to the sea water like a sponge, with a de-act Thompson and NO ammunition on me, I thought these guys must have been fit to do this and all under fire and with guy's dropping all around them.

Hat's off to them all.

Mick.
ImageImageImage

514th Q.M T.C We deliver everything, except babies