Hello #3 from New Zealand

For New Members to tell us about themselves and be welcomed.
Spanner
Draftee

Hello #3 from New Zealand

Post by Spanner »

A big thanks to Bill Wolf for assisting my registration here. :D
My chosen user name is 'Spanner' which is British for 'wrench'. I live in New Zealand where I am a Technician with a John Deere dealership. My speciality is Golf & Turf mowing equipment. I'm 51 years old and lived in UK for 21 years before returning home to NZ four years ago.

As far as my interest in CCKW's - I am a recent recruit to the world of HMV's and am a volunteer assisting with the Military section at the Museum of Transport & Technology in Auckland, NZ. (MOTAT - http://www.motat.org.nz) where my mechanical skills are proving useful.

We have a GMC 352 6x6 in the collection, on which I am overhauling the brakes and prop shafts after repairing the front axle springs shackle bolts since I noticed the Right Hand Side bolts were broken and the axle was effectively loose. That small job has led me onto the brakes (shoes re-lined and drums skimmed, wheel cylinders overhauled) as well as the wheel bearings re-packed and then the UJ's on all the prop-shafts checked/replaced as necessary.
From underneath the truck to underneath the bonnet (hood) - I need to reseal the rocker cover gasket and so the tappets will be adjusted at that time and the ignition overhauled as well.

The truck is nearly complete and needs minor detailing to be totally 'correct' which I hope your forum members can assist with advice etc. (Wiring loom at the fusebox is a 'birds nest'.) Since the truck is a museum artifact we must try and keep everything 'correct'.

At the museum I've also been assigned the rebuild of an Indian 741-B Army Despatch Riders motorcycle. It was dismantled and painted in Desert colours before the engine went missing. (I don't mean running rough. It was stolen apparently some years ago.) I was presented with the 'kitset' as seen in the attached photo.

Also attached is a pic of our GMC during my front axle repair. (Taken at night, in the store shed). Because it is parked in the end bay we can only work on one side at a time. It has to be turned around and jacked up to allow the half-shafts to be removed by withdrawing them out and through the tracks of the neighbouring Valentine tank ! Luckily it had been reversed in so the whole front axle was removable initially to make it driveable before the rear brakes were stripped - one side at a time.
Everything done at the museum is voluntary in our spare time. So everything takes a long time.

My late father served with the RNZAF here in NZ during WWII and I'm proud of his contribution.

Well that's a bit about me and why I'm here. I look forward to contributing and being part of this community.
Regards to all.
John.
Start002 (Small).JPG
Start004 (Small).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Take it easy - But take it."
Woody Guthrie.
Chris_M
Captain
Captain

Re: Hello #3 from New Zealand

Post by Chris_M »

Welcome to the forum spanner. The CCKW apparently was an ex Norwegian Army truck. How comes she landed at the opposite side of the world?

Regards,

Chris
45 CCKW 353 2
Spanner
Draftee

Post by Spanner »

Hi Chris,
I don't know the history of the truck - but I'll make some enquiries. How can you deterine the 'ex-Norway' aspect?
Woody Guthrie.
Chris_M
Captain
Captain

Post by Chris_M »

A friend of mine has a closed cab 352 with same blinker light models fitted at same place and the same "modern" rectangular side mirrors. His truck's history can be tracked back to Norway. He even still has a service tag attached somewhere at the engine written in Norwegian.

Regards,

Chris
45 CCKW 353 2
Spanner
Draftee

Post by Spanner »

Hmmm... The only info I have come up with thus far is that approx. 1,200 GMC's were disposed of by the NZ government in a bulk 'deal' (itself the subject of an official enquiry) to a single firm called 'G.T.Gillies Ltd.' for the sum of NZ£100,000 after the war.
Many were then sold into the forestry industry which needed logging trucks and spent their last days hauling pine logs out of the forest to collection points. The lack of decent brakes meant operators would discard the left door and drive by standing on the running board with hand throttle set, ready to leap off if danger presented itself. Hence Left doors are scarce here apparently!

Other uses for the government surplus trucks included tow-trucks (with a derrick fitted) and general haulage, farm trucks etc. Our roads were pretty rough back then (some still are!!).

I have seen a pic of a GMC even converted into a wading 'bus' with 6 inch riser to lift the cabin off the chassis, front & rear winches, axle breather tubes and a wave 'plough' in front to enable the transportation of visitors/freight around the Chatham Islands.

My enquiries will continue but I think we'd be too far from Europe to make shipment of vehicles economical in the post-war austerity years. Apparently it was common practice for the Americans to 'dump' vehicles in the oceans upon departure from Pacific regions including NZ. Excavation of a new boating marina for Auckland some years after WWII led to a quantity of GMC axles and brake drums being dredged up and scrapped.
Our military was known to buy vehicles from Australia second-hand...
Woody Guthrie.