Another Hello from the UK

For New Members to tell us about themselves and be welcomed.
Templepan Jimmy
Private

Another Hello from the UK

Post by Templepan Jimmy »

Hello all,
My names Harry (Aitch), and although not an owner of a CCKW or any other MV, having spent well in excess of 200hrs so far on a friends truck, I find myself and drawn into the CCKW community...
The Truck (based nr Watford, Herts. UK) is a CCKW353 with a closed cab and as far as I can make out, has an original cupola (on the clean up I found 2 datum arrows.. "12 O'clock and 3 O'clock").
It was released by the French Millitary in the mid 80's and went into private hands in the UK with some carefull owners and some not so! My friend bought it in the later part of last year from a company who supply vehicles to the film industry, it is one of the vehicles in "Capitain America", and although it ran, badly, and stopped (worse!) the rear of the cab was not in the best of shape having been mended with gaffa (duct) tape and painted over, and the wiring a complete mess!
So far where we have removed paint, we have found no evidence of original markings or numbers so it's history is a mystery, but in doing the steel work we have uncovered what looks very much like a bullet hole in the headboard end of the bed and a corresponding scar on the cab.
I shall post up pictures, chassis and cab numbers as soon as I can in (hopefully) the appropriate sections. But now back to today's challenge of building a 12 to 6V dropper for the fuel gauge :?

Aitch
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Another Hello from the UK

Post by dr deuce »

Welcome!

JC Whitney has a voltage regulator (not a resistor) for about $18 US. It is mounted to a flat bar with a hole on one end for the gauge stud and a stud on the other end for the wire lug. In addition, there is a wire that needs to be grounded to make everything work. Simple
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
Templepan Jimmy
Private

Thanks Dr Deuce,
I may have to resort to that if JC Whitney ship to the UK, but in the mean time I have built one up using solid state voltage regulators and capacitors , all neatly tucked into a diecast box (for the heat sink) all for less than £10, it certainly drops the voltage ok, but whether it handles the Amps (should be good for about 1.5 to 2 amps)....
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

I am not sure, but 1-2 amps seems a lot for a fuel gauge and the resistor sort of in the tank....
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
willysmb
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by willysmb »

Hi Aitch, Is this one of the Jimmys sold at Brooklands Auction ?? ..

ken
Templepan Jimmy
Private

willysmb wrote:Hi Aitch, Is this one of the Jimmys sold at Brooklands Auction ?? ..

ken
Hi Ken,
The Jimmy wasn't one of that batch, it was sold off by a company (film/tv vehicle hire) down in Southampton....
The last couple of weeks I have got a lot of the re-wire done, and although not "original" it is far better than the nest of vipers it replaces....

(link to pic on facebook, might work)

link disabled
willysmb
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by willysmb »

... ah ha ... The Brooklands GMC's were Dogs... I looked at the 353 open cabed cargo ....and walked away double quick time .

finaly Bought a 353 workshop truck ..It's based in the stanstead airport area but i live in North london ..

Restoration will begin later this year after we( me and a Mate) finish off a couple of other things...

Mine is running and driving with only a few minor problems ...she's mosty a revamp and rebuild of the workshop back ..

On the Picture of the week page .. http://www.cckw.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4742

She should be at the duxford show in a week or so ..
Templepan Jimmy
Private

Hi Ken,
In the whole Grand scheme of this forum we're near as dammit neighbours:-) , the truck is based near Watford, Herts. So the ones at Brooklands were rough? I was looking at the prices they made
(MVT magazine) and knowing how much my friend payed for his (less), you would probably "double timed" away from his too :-)
Could you post or pm when the Duxford show is on, it would be good to meet some "local" CCKW's and see some closed cabs for reference of there is any there..

Aitch
willysmb
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by willysmb »

Hi mate ...PM sent ..

Do a Google on the "Duxford Museum" ... I cant go but my Jimmy and several other vehicles will attend ..

Its Not a bad show, the big thing is the cavilcade aroubd the airfield... :D and if you are booked in the £18 saving to see around the Museum..

take a look at my Flickr pages.. http://www.flickr.com/photos/willysmbdi ... 653265957/

ken