ANOTHER NEWBIE QUESTION!! SORRY...

For New Members to tell us about themselves and be welcomed.
Gregor1200
Draftee

ANOTHER NEWBIE QUESTION!! SORRY...

Post by Gregor1200 »

I am Greg, a purspective GMC owner!

I have found a vehicle in France (next door to my parent inlaws!). Can you help me identify it please?

I know a little about various militeria - and know enough to know that you guys know more!

Chassis number: CCKW352 217516-B1

Would really apreciate your help - perhaps I could evn impress the current owner before I leave in next couple of days. He doesn't want to commit to selling because of sentimental reasons - but is not a weel man, and my father inlaw (his friend) is sure that he would be happier to know that it go to someone who would keep it and restore it to its former glory.

Thanks again,
Greg
Karoshi
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: ANOTHER NEWBIE QUESTION!! SORRY...

Post by Karoshi »

Hello Greg and welcome to the forum. The vehicle identification stamp you give tells us a lot of information. The CCKW bit tells us that the vehicle is a 6 x6 configuration with a driven front axle. The 352 tells us that it is of the Short Wheelbase type, easy to recognise as behind the cockpit there will be space for two spare wheels. The B1 tells us that the body type originally fitted was a Cargo model, and also tells us that its fitted with a winch. The B1 designation also tells us that the axles are of the "Split" type rather than the "Banjo" type.

The chassis number of 217516 tells us that it is one of a batch (mixed 353 & 352) with chassis numbers between 213652 to 321077 placed in procurement contract 4 and built between March 1943 and February 1944

There are several excellent books available, and for picture content I would highly recommend : GMC un camion de legende by Jean-Michel Boniface ISBN No 2-7268-9323-6. it also happens to be in French !

I hope this will get you on the road to ownership. Please let us know how you get on.

Regards Karoshi
CCKW 352 B1
Gregor1200
Draftee

Post by Gregor1200 »

Thank you for that. All good info.
Is there any way of knowing when it arrrived into France and to whom it was issued? There doen't appear to be any American evidence, all cockpit plates are in French - can I assume it was never issued an American registration number/hood number?
Any way of tracing military history?
Great forum! I am really enjoying trawling through all the old posts, so much info to get the motivation going!
Regards
Greg
Karoshi
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Karoshi »

Well its going to take you a little more than a few posts on any forum to find the Nirvana you're looking for. The simple answer is no, there is no quick route to a vehicle history. You might strike lucky by sanding the layers of paint off one by one, or you may even find a clue or two on the French re-build plates. Sorry but the info you seek simply isnt available from records....its a l-o-n-g game of hide and seek.

They hide the information and you spend the rest of your life seeking it.

Strip the paint first, if you strike lucky with a serial number or a unit insignia you're in with a chance..............a very slim chance.

Good luck

Karoshi
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Bill_Wolf »

Karoshi is right on with this... :lol:
They hide the information and you spend the rest of your life seeking it.
Pay particular attention when sanding to the outboard side of the front bumper and the rear bumperettes. Unit designations were usually painted in these areas.

Bill
1945 GMC DUKW
1942 Chevy 125 Crash Truck from Dow AAFB,
1944 Chevy 325 Fire Truck
1942 WC-54 Ambulance
1944 M29C Weasel (x6)
1945 CCKW 353 A2 Open Cab "Air-portable"
1943 M5 High Speed Tractor
1942 Sperry Searchlight setup with GE Generator
1942 M-1 Fruehauf Searchlight Trailer (G221)
1942 M-17 Fruehauf Quad 50 Trailer (G221)
1942 M-10 Ammo Trailer (x3)
194? Steel Ben Hur (x4) 194? Wood Ben Hur (x2)
1945 Case VAIW-3 Aircraft Tug
1943 Case VAI USAAF with Mower
1944 Clark CA-1 Airborne Dozer
1944 PE-95G, 1944 PE-99B
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

Welcome to the site. You have entered the best site on WWII GMC's in the world.
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans
Canadian Gunner
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Canadian Gunner »

Hi Greg:

By the tone of your query I get the impression that you might think that your truck went straight to the French forces from the factory... highly unlikely... the french data plates were probably put on in the 1950s during a rebuild. It is most likely that your truck served with US forces and was given to the French post war as part of MAP (Military Assistance Programme), a sub-set of the Marshall Plan (you can google these terms). If the truck was given to the French forces during the war it still would have come from US stocks and would have a USA registration somewhere. There are several reputable dealers that can sell you a set of english language data plates. There were several versions of the plates so do your research and get the correct ones. In this website is a wonderful and detailed history of the CCKW... it was the first thing I downloaded and printed when I became a member of this crazy fraternity... absolutely invaluable. Chat also with "Karoshi" as he is a member of a very big re-enactment group in the UK that have between them some 20 CCKWs. There are few headaches they haven't already experienced and dealt with. The old salts on this website sometimes forget (advancing age, gents? :wink: ) that we don't all have the level of knowledge they do... nonetheless, they are wonderful chaps and a great help to a newbie!

Our knowledgable friends are absolutely correct, sand the bumpers, rear bumperettes and the sides of the hood ("bonnet" to you UK types) to look for numbers. Use the registry in this website to see roughly where your truck was in the five year production run and it will give you an idea of what your USA registration number was.

Good luck!

Cheers, Mike

CCKW352 40236B1 'born' 27 May 1941 (+ or - a day or two!). 177,280 CCKWs made between yours and mine!
"UBIQUE!"

Mike Calnan
KEVINABR
Major
Major

Post by KEVINABR »

Welcome Greg, keep the questions coming its great to get more info with every answer :wink:
1941 GMC 352 A1 Cargo 29595
1942 GMC 353 F2 Workshop 102620 ST6 Type M18 Electrical Repair
1942 GMC 353 B2 Cargo
1942 Ben Hur 1ton Wooden Cargo Trailer
1942 Chevrolet G506 G7113 Tractor 1NK 245837
1944 5ton The Trailer Company of America, Stake and Platform Semi Trailer
1943 Dodge WC63 6x6 82035401
194? Diamond T 968a 968A7471
PFC 514th Q.M T.C We Deliver Everything, Except Babies