CCKW buying tips

For New Members to tell us about themselves and be welcomed.
JeepGeek
Corporal
Corporal

CCKW buying tips

Post by JeepGeek »

Hi,

My names Jon and I'm new to GMCs and really like the idea of getting one with a workshop/shopvan body on so that I can convert it to a camper (is that bad?)

I was wondering if anyone would be able to provide some tips as to what to look for when viewing a prospective vehicle? Are there any parts that are particularly hard to find? Are there any features of GMCs that make for a tricky restoration? What is a good guide to the value of a project vehicle (dataplates etc?)

I'm based in the UK and can anyone tell me if you need an MOT for a GMC? I have heard that you don't need an MOT for a Dodge because of its weight, but then I have also heard the counter argument that actually you do. Does anyone know what is required for a GMC in the UK?

I'd really appreciate any hints and tips

Thanks

Jon
kpu121265
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: CCKW buying tips

Post by kpu121265 »

Jon, i can only tell you what i have done with both my GMCs in the UK.
They are both registered as historic vehicles. I went to the trouble of obtaining age related plates for them (although they are magnetic and i usually 'forget' to put them on, along with the tax disks......), which confirms the declared build date on the log book.
When it comes to taxing the vehicles, i declare them as exempt on the basis that they were 'commercial vehicles' manufactured prior to 1960 i think it is and are not used for hire or reward, do not carry a load or draw a laden trailer. This makes them exempt from plating and testing (although you have a legal responsibility to maintain the vehicles in a roadworthy condition - quite apart from the moral one)!
I can not remember the form (not near my paperwork - but V65c is in my memory for some reason), but if you go on the DVLA web site, you can download the exemption form. I always get the post office to stamp it every time i go for a tax disk just so i have something to show the police if i am ever stopped.
If i can help more, drop me a pm.
Sadly, it is more problematic registering the sherman, and the half tracks were a bit tricky - but i'm up for it.
Regards
Ken
Jan 1942 Willys Slat Jeep
June 1942 Ford GPW
2 x Ford GP
1994 Polsten Quad AA gun
1943 M10 Ammunition Trailer
1943 MBT
1941 Diamond T 969A Wrecker
1943 GMC352
1943 GMC353
1943 Sherman M4E9 (small hatch composite)
1942 M2A1 Autocar Half Track
1943 M14 International Half Track
1942 Polish Trailer Mounted Cook 'house'
1941 Dodge WC16 Command Car
1943 Dodge WC62 6x6
1941 Dodge WC21
1943 Dodge WC56
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

When I get around to my shopvan, I was going to make it "sleepable" too.

You need to watch out for the bottom edges of the sides of the van body. They rot out badly!. The water gets between the innner and outer panels and goes right through.
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
JeepGeek
Corporal
Corporal

Post by JeepGeek »

Thanks Ken and Dr Deuce,

Long time no post but... I've purchased a '42 closed cab CCKW with ST-6 workshop body 8) Am in the process of completing all the registration forms at the moment.. oeerr. I put 'commercial' down on the 'type' section of the V55/5 form (the registration form) but am beginning to wonder if this was correct and that 'private' may have been more appropriate.

Ho-hum. Watch this space ;o)

Jon