Hello from Melbourne, Australia!

For New Members to tell us about themselves and be welcomed.
G.I. Gino
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Hello from Melbourne, Australia!

Post by G.I. Gino »

Hi all, My name is Gino and recently l became the proud new owner of a fantastic looking GMC CCKW.
Ive loved big army trucks for as long as l can remember, lve had the pleasure of driving them for the Australian Defence Force for just on twenty years now (Reserve) both at home in Iraq and in Malaysia, so the time came to finally get my own.
l came across the GMC 4 years ago at an military re-enactment weekend, l spoke to the owner and told him that one day l would like to own one of these trucks, he said his wasnt for sale but if it was he would let me know, l forgot about the truck when 4 years later l got a phone call one night and it was him asking me if l was still interested, ( he tracked me down through the club) a week later l bought it on the 23rd of January 2009. He has done all the diffs, axles, steering box end even put a gas system (LPG) on it as petrol is so expensive these days, and also had a stainless exhust system custom made for the truck as well. It is in pretty original condition and even has a wooden steering wheel in excellent condition, all l need to do is give the truck a new coat of paint and some numbers and stars and the jobs done!, l hope...
He told me he bought it off a guy who imported a few from lsrael, lve still yet to check the i.d numbers as l am waiting for some books from the states to help me in finding where to look for serial numbers etc, the i.d tags on the truck are repo and are not stamped.
Well, have been going over your web page and l thinks it great, will keep you posted on the truck and will try and send some photos of it too, be patient as l am no computer wizz but l will try!!,
cheers,
Gino.
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Bill_Wolf »

Welcome Gino,

Glad to have you aboard.

The serial number of the truck should be stamped in the frame on the right frame where it passes over the front axle. You may have to sand down the area to find it.

Thank you for your military service and enjoy the the site.

Bill
1945 GMC DUKW
1942 Chevy 125 Crash Truck from Dow AAFB,
1944 Chevy 325 Fire Truck
1942 WC-54 Ambulance
1944 M29C Weasel (x6)
1945 CCKW 353 A2 Open Cab "Air-portable"
1943 M5 High Speed Tractor
1942 Sperry Searchlight setup with GE Generator
1942 M-1 Fruehauf Searchlight Trailer (G221)
1942 M-17 Fruehauf Quad 50 Trailer (G221)
1942 M-10 Ammo Trailer (x3)
194? Steel Ben Hur (x4) 194? Wood Ben Hur (x2)
1945 Case VAIW-3 Aircraft Tug
1943 Case VAI USAAF with Mower
1944 Clark CA-1 Airborne Dozer
1944 PE-95G, 1944 PE-99B
SpookyDad
Captain
Captain

Post by SpookyDad »

Welcome aboard. I have had my CCKW for less than 6 months and this is the best site on the net for new CCKW owners. The guys here are extremely helpful and knowledgeable. Feel free to ask any question you like. Nobody will jump all over you.

SpookyDad
1945 CCKW 353 Fire Truck to German Kfz72 Radio Van conversion.
http://716heer.org
Houston Texas
Cat Man
Major
Major

welcome aboard

Post by Cat Man »

Hello Gino,

Great to have you on board. They are great trucks and you are lucky to get one that is ready to display. Don't be shy about posting questions. WE all learn stuff all the time.

We've visited lots of places, but not Austrailia. I must convince my wife to go to Australia for an HMV meet. Tell us more about military truck collecting "down under". Any schedule of HMV events?? I know its a huge country and if it is like events here in the states, collector events are scattered far apart.

We also love photos. Hope you can post some of your new baby. Let us know if you need help posting. I found its not too hard after the boys helped me. Most of us are better mechanics than computer operators!

Cat Man
40 Years An Engine Guy
30 Years A Caterpillar Guy
Still Learning Every Day
G.I. Gino
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by G.I. Gino »

hi all,
sorry for the delay in responding to the replys, lve been pretty busy latley with the bush fires that are happening here in victoria, australia. my unit (7 tpt sqn army reserve) was called up and ive been driving my r series mack and 20 ton plant trailer delivering stores to the fire affected towns,also l had to rush up to my parents farm in whittlesea where l keep the gmc to move it, otherwise it would have been burnt out like so many other vehicles that were trapped up there. in march we have a big mv meet in a place called corowa, new south wales. lm hoping to drive the gmc there if l get a break from my army service...its a great event, the biggest in australia, check out corowaswim-in.org it started about 30 years ago by a few guys who had jeep gpa's, its great fun and you should try and get down one day!! well l sent an email with a photo of the gmc and some details to include on the owners list a few weeks ago, hope to see them up soon on the web page...well gotta go, need some sleep!!,
cheers,
gino.