Hello from Denmark

For New Members to tell us about themselves and be welcomed.
KIH
Corporal
Corporal

Hello from Denmark

Post by KIH »

Well, as a matter of fact I’ve been here for a while, but never thought of introducing my selves. As the headline indicates I’m from Denmark. Denmark is NOT the capital in Sweden but the oldest kingdom in the world. Together with Greenland and the Faroe Islands we form an independent state.

My name is Kim Hansen, born 1961. I’m mechanical engineer and the proud farther of three kids.

I’m am the lucky owner of a 353 open cab from 43 and a 353 closed cab from 44. (Yes - it must have been rebuild and got the cab from and older one). Both ex Norwegians and therefore in good conditions. So I wont have to take them apart for a complete overhaul – fixing brakes and some minor repairs and they will run for another 20 years without problems – at least, so I hope.

I have often taken advantage of all the experts in this great forum and they have never let me down. I’m relatively new to this so I have a lot to learn. Visit my webpage for pics – some day I will launch an English version but for now you will have to learn Danish :lol:

Thanks
Kim Hansen
Denmark
http://www.kimh.dk (Sorry, only in Danish but lot of pics :-) )
GMC CCKW 353 Cargo open cab 43
Cat Man
Major
Major

Hello From Denmark

Post by Cat Man »

Hello Kim,

Great to hear from you. I also live in "Denmark" in the State of Wisconsin here in the USA. The township is named "New Denmark".

All my dairy farmer neighbors have the names Olsen, Larsen, Johnson, Nelson or Petersen! They are all VERY PROUD to be Danish.

We take our CCKW to the parade at our Danish Fall Festival in the local village most years. It's a big hit with the vets. Then off to the beer tent for Danish beer, local cheese and some sort of Danish sausage that I can't name. Lots of Danish food and pretty girls. Lots of fun.

I'm glad I only have one CCKW. I would go crazy trying to decide which one to drive if I had two like you.

Drive On

Cat Man
40 Years An Engine Guy
30 Years A Caterpillar Guy
Still Learning Every Day
KIH
Corporal
Corporal

Denmark

Post by KIH »

Hello Catman

Well, that’s new to me – a small piece of Denmark located in Wisconsin. That’s something. I have visited Wisconsin several times- in the South part of the State - a small town called Pleasant Prairie. It is extremely cold there in the winter - even for a Dane :D

Out of curiosity – does your neighbours still speak the Danish language :?:

Well, I think all Danes are proud of being Danish. We are doing all right for a small country with only 5 mill people. Nobody starves and everybody has a roof over their head and a bed to sleep in – we take pride in our high level of social security policy even though we pay a fortune in taxes.

So you have experienced one our national dishes “røde pølser” – red sausages. In Denmark you will find mobile sausage stands on many street corners – an over 100 years old tradition - but “McDonald” and other fast food chains are rapidly reducing them.

Image Image

Its good to know that Danish traditions are kept alive out in the big world. Could you by any chance post some pics from these Danish events?

As for the vehicle choose: I just lesson to the weather forecast – Rain means closed cab :lol:

Best regards
Kim Hansen
Denmark
http://www.kimh.dk (Sorry, only in Danish but lot of pics :-) )
GMC CCKW 353 Cargo open cab 43
Cat Man
Major
Major

CCKW in Denmark

Post by Cat Man »

KIm,

Yes! It is røde pølser or red sausage! Every once in a while we hear a Danish word or dialect in conversation.

There are many ethnic groups hear. Bohemian, Polish, Belgian, Dutch.

I'll see if I can find some photos. Here is one of our CCKW in the local village of Luxemburg at the freedom road memorial with the marker giver to the village from the road in Europe.

Cat Man
40 Years An Engine Guy
30 Years A Caterpillar Guy
Still Learning Every Day
Colin Britton
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

red sausage

Post by Colin Britton »

Damn!!!! Now I want a hot dog....... :lol:
ATW,
Doc Britton.

1945 353-B2 W/W with 1943 Trackson Co. M-36 Gun Mount
1944 Ford M-20 Armored Car
1943 Steel body Ben Hur trailer
1944 MB w/GPW engine (project) On hold M-20 restoration has OPERATIONAL PRIORITY
Active Duty Paratrooper 82nd Abn. Div.
2nd BDE. 325 A.I.R.
3rd BCT 2-505 P.I.R
407th BSB Trauma Team SGT/Leader
Combat Medic
Fmr. Combat Engr. 307th Engr. Bn. Abn.
14 years in the 82nd. Americas Guard of Honor
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

Welcome KIM. Tdhis is a great site to belong to.
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans