For New Members to tell us about themselves and be welcomed.
the cooler king
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by the cooler king »

Hellow I am a new member located in the pacific northwest.I am the owner of a 42 chevrolet winch dump model.I am close to a restore of this vehicle.two vehicles one truck.One of them possibley came from the alcan highway the way the frame was busted in several places. I read somewhere were most of the chevrolets went up there.That was to heavy work road building for the light chevy frame.They needed more cckws Purhaps the Chevrolets were what was ready and in abundance at the time.I placed a post in the chevy forum. Maybe should have been in cckw tech section?Great hobby. Great website. I just finished watching the film the GREAT ESCAPE this user name was something i had to have. The Cooler King
Last edited by the cooler king on Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Bill_Wolf »

Welcome and Thank you for participating in the site.

It is coincidence that you brought up the Alcan as just last week there was a show on The History Channel about the Alcan highway. The show was a sequence on the "Modern Marvels' series. It full of period newsreel of Chevy trucks in use.

Again Thanks for joining. Please send on a picture of your truck.

Bill
1945 GMC DUKW
1942 Chevy 125 Crash Truck from Dow AAFB,
1944 Chevy 325 Fire Truck
1942 WC-54 Ambulance
1944 M29C Weasel (x6)
1945 CCKW 353 A2 Open Cab "Air-portable"
1943 M5 High Speed Tractor
1942 Sperry Searchlight setup with GE Generator
1942 M-1 Fruehauf Searchlight Trailer (G221)
1942 M-17 Fruehauf Quad 50 Trailer (G221)
1942 M-10 Ammo Trailer (x3)
194? Steel Ben Hur (x4) 194? Wood Ben Hur (x2)
1945 Case VAIW-3 Aircraft Tug
1943 Case VAI USAAF with Mower
1944 Clark CA-1 Airborne Dozer
1944 PE-95G, 1944 PE-99B
the cooler king
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by the cooler king »

Thanks for the welcome.I saw the Alcan documentry also. That is what led me to believe the vehicles took such a thrashing.I dont know how to send a photo . There happens to be one on the front page of www.vehiclesofvictory.com
I dont know how long it will be on there . The chevy is navy color in the snow. The Cooler King
Lucky Forward
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Lucky Forward »

A great Welcome to you. I am new here as well. I am waiting till my shop van gets here, my first cckw. I am told 15th of March. Anyway, there is tons of info here and a bunch of great folks to help you.
Denny
WC 57 Dodge Command Car "Patton command car"
CCKW 1942 Shop Van "Patton command van"
GPW Ford Script 1943 Jeep
Ben Hur Trailer
1/4 ton Batam trailer
M-20 Armored car "Patton's M-20"
1942 CCKW
1942 International Harvester 1 1/2 ton
MVPA #9986
http://www.pattonthirdarmy.com
abn CCKW

Post by abn CCKW »

welcome to the group , I m sure someone will have answers for any of the questions you might think of, I think you right about what they used for Vehicles for the basic road construction being tied to what was available at the time , The CCKW dump truck wasnt all that rugged either Its a light to medium dump truck at best , in the Pacific islands the CB's used 4 Ton Diamond T's as they were purpose built dump trucks with the heavy frames to take the pounding but likely were not available until much later in the war .