New here

For New Members to tell us about themselves and be welcomed.
timpage
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

New here

Post by timpage »

Hello everyone. I am looking at buying a GMC CCKW 353. It is need of alot of work but is a restorable truck from as much as I have seen of it. It will be my first military vintage truck if I am able to work out a deal with who currently has it.

I live in Prineville Oregon now. Have seen an occasional Jeep restored but not very often this old of a large truck. Also really into IH trucks (and have seen an old M5-H6 that an IH group Im part of tried to get a hold of to take care of, but it unfortunately fell thru).

I hope to get this truck to save it, and look forward to beng a part of this group!

Thanks
Tim
Matt
Major
Major

Post by Matt »

Hi Tim,

Welcome to the forum! do let us all know when you have your truck and I'm sure everyone will do their best to answer any questions you have.

All the best,

Matt.
March 1942 Dodge WC-56 Command Car,1229th QM.
Oct.1943 Dodge WC-52 Weapons Carrier,854th BS.
Jan.1943 CCKW LeRoi Compressor.
timpage
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by timpage »

Thank You Matt. I will post more info if I am able to get the ole girl. And even a picture or two if I am able....

Thanks for the Welcome.

Tim
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

Welcome Tim. Search through this site as time allows. There is a tremendous amount of information available here along with great restoration advice from the posters here. Good luck on your restoration, you will enjoy it.
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans
timpage
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by timpage »

Well, I am now the owner of the GMC Ive been looking at. Ive learned that some of the information I thought was right about the truck is innaccurate. I have learned this truck is a 352, not the 353. Also learned from the reasearch the guy Im bought it from thought it likely had a Fuel Tanker body on it. But alas, no bed now.

The restoration will be slow for now, as Im working on an International Pickup right now getting the engine replaced in it right now. But I hope to get some general work done at some point in the next year!

Thanks all!
Tim
Cat Man
Major
Major

Post by Cat Man »

Hello Tim,

Welcome aboard. You'll find this site a great resource. 20 years ago, when I started collecting CCKW's. there was nothing!

CCKW's are far easier to find parts for than IHC's. But an M5-H6 would be really cool. There seem to be more IHC's on the west coast since the USMC used them the most and the bases on the coast surplused them there.

The IHC's were favored by some contractors as being a bit heavier in frame and drive train than the CCKW's. Unlike jeeps, bigger surplus Army trucks were used and used hard by there civilian owners. When they were done, they were really beat to death. So its harder to find big trucks in any reasonable condition.

I have only ever seen a handful of restored WWII military IHC's. But I've always wanted one! Keep an eye out! In the 1950's, IHC built many 5 Ton M series trucks for Uncle Sam. Some of these were used into the 1980's. They had a BIG continental 6 cylinder gasser and sounded great. They turn up regularly if you really want a military IH.

Welcome and best of luck.

Cat Man
40 Years An Engine Guy
30 Years A Caterpillar Guy
Still Learning Every Day