A daughter trying to learn about her dad's truck

For New Members to tell us about themselves and be welcomed.
valleycityconrad
Private First Class
Private First Class

A daughter trying to learn about her dad's truck

Post by valleycityconrad »

My name is Billie and I began researching my dad's time in WWII a few months ago. Dad was part of the 58th Bomb Wing (B-29s) that started in the CBI and then moved to Tinian Island, his name was William F Riffel. Dad passed away in 1991 and didn't talk about the war much. What I do know is from his discharge paper, some photos he brought back and a couple stories. I know he was a truck driver (lt) MOS 345. I have a picture of him in an open cab GMC 6x6 Cargo truck. I know this only because he wrote it on the back! I don't have much to offer when it comes to an intelligent conversation about this truck...but I do have a lot of questions and I can't wait to get started asking!

Billie Conrad
Proud Daughter of William F Riffel
20th Air Force 58th Bomb Wing 25 Air Service Group
CBI, Tinian and Guam
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

Billie
Anything I can do to resolve your yerarning for answers please feel free to ask. You can ask on the web or PM me if you want to.
I had an uncle that was on Tinian and Siapan and was a gunner on a B29. He was in the 20AAF, 882nd Bomb Squadron. I love finding out more about the use of trucks in the Army Air Force as my CCKW was used by the AAF at Kelly Field, Texas.
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Bill_Wolf »

Billie,

Try the Army Air Forces website. It is a civilian managed site with lots of info about groups of WWII

http://www.armyairforces.com

After putting info up there about my Dad being a B-17 pilot I had emails from his commanding officer of 60 years previous, and the son of one of the members of his crew.

Good Luck!

Bill