Greetings from New Zealand!

For New Members to tell us about themselves and be welcomed.
emcam
Private First Class
Private First Class

Greetings from New Zealand!

Post by emcam »

Hi all, My name is Mark Cameron, from Dunedin, New Zealand, and I am currently rebuilding a CCKW that I found in a barn.

I have attached a link to an image, I am not sure if it will work, but if not, go to http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/emmcamm/my_photos and have a look!

My chassis was lengthened many years ago, and I am keeping it as it is at the moment, but might cut it down in the future, once everything else is straightened out.

New tyres fitted recently, all wheels sandblasted, repaired and recoated, and I am overhauling all of the brakes at the moment.

Kind regards,

Mark Cameron

Image (alt+p)
[/img]
Cara
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Cara »

Welcome aboard Mark,

Do you know why the chassis had been extended? Here is another which was on eBay, extended at the same point as yours http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1942-GMC ... dZViewItem

Interesting.

Cara
x

Ps., Looks like you're doing a great job there.
Cara

Captain of the ARC Clubmobile
unit attached to the
514th QM Truck Regiment
www.arcclubmobile.co.uk
42cckw
Captain
Captain

Post by 42cckw »

Hi and welcome Mark
congratulations on your find from the pictures it look like your doing a super job,I only have one :?: whats up with the red fan blade :) Just curious
JIM 42CCKW
emcam
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by emcam »

Hi there!

Regarding the red fan...I am a hot-rodder at heart, and I guess that was just a bit of self indulgence. I note that the fan colour was recently discussed in this forum.

The chassis extension is more interesting: a New Zealand company tendered for around 600 ex US GMC's in the 50's. Their last one was finally sold late last year, and the company still has quite a quantity of spares. During the 50's and 60's, they used to fully overhaul the Jimmys, which had sat outside for many years, and sell them to civillian operators, mostly for logging or for other heavy duty uses. In many cases the chassis were extended to make the trucks more suitable for civillian use, and here in New Zealand, the 6x6 trucks were certified for a 10 ton gross weight. In my case, about 3 feet was put into the chassis, and the transfer case was moved rearwards by this amount: the driveshafts to the rear axles are standard, but the front driveshaft, the shaft between the gearbox and transfer case, and all of the control rods have been modified.

Kind regards,

Mark Cameron
Colin Britton
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Colin Britton »

Welcome to the group Mark, and the truck looks great. Keep up the good work and keep us posted as the project goes along.

ATW,
Doc Britton
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

Welcome to the site and thanks for sharing the photos of your new ward of history. She is a great looking truck and will provide you with a lot of pride and hours of restoration. Don't be shy, when you have questions please ask. That is what we are all about.

Again welcome .
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans
UK Jack
Major
Major

Post by UK Jack »

Hi Mark. welcome aboard and another GMC in safe hands 8)

Cheers

Jack.
www.hmvf.co.uk
A forum for historic military vehicles - inspired by Bill & CCKW.org!!!

Nothing is permanent in life, except change.