stencilling

Trucks used by the U.S. Army in world War II that were 2.5 tons and larger. Such as Studebaker US-6, International M5-6, 4 Ton tractors (Auto Car, etc.), 5 Ton (Corbitt, etc.), the Dragon Wagon, and any other trucks 2.5 tons and over.
sixbysix
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

stencilling

Post by sixbysix »

Hi
am trying to work out what sort of stencilling I need for my 1942 studebaker US-6 .... My vehicle is Australia. Would be great to know appropriate size and location of any stars and also numerals ( what do these mean? on the bonnet and bumpers) and any unit insignia - size and location ... as well as white markings on bumpers and or rear axles for convoy driving at night ...any and all information including what sort of paint I should be using would be greatly appreciated
sixbysixSecond Lieutenant

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post a reply
retro-roco
Captain
Captain

Re: stencilling

Post by retro-roco »

I suggest you go to the G503.com website (they have awesome forums too!), and search under the jeepdraw section for AR 850-5 which covers "Marking of Clothing, Equipment, Vehicles & Property ". Here's a link, but would suggest youcheck out some of the other great resources there too.

http://jeepdraw.com/images/AR-850-5.pdf
Item Co., 23rd Inf. Regt., 2nd Div. WWII HRS
(Retro-Roco)
Bloomington, IL

1942 Chevy 1-1/2 ton cargo w/ winch
194? Ben Hur water trailer
sixbysix
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Re: stencilling

Post by sixbysix »

thankyou
they are helpful - but maybe not as good as from the 'horse mouth' so to speak .... ie from other GMC cckw owners ... what are people doing out there ? Stencil sizes for numbers on bonnets for instance ... 2", 3" or 4" ... all were used but what looks looks the best? ... 2" seems a bit small for mine ... also what paint should i be using for the stencils ... any colour white? flat rather than gloss obviously ... but should i be looking at anything in particular? ... anything last better than other brands fo rinstance ... ?
sixbysix